The True Line Digital Archive on Disc

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
caley739

The True Line Digital Archive on Disc

Post by caley739 » Tue May 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Not sure if this the right section of the forum for this post, but quite by chance I noticed a mention of this DVD on another forum. I do read my copy of TTL from cover to cover when received and check the forum for new posts virtually daily. So if this new addition to sales items has been mentioned/advertised it managed to pass me by. I see that it is mentioned on the website title page but it seems to be a bit overwhelmed by the colourful illustrations of the several excellent society publications and is easily overlooked.
Anyway I have today ordered a copy online, but I wonder if there is any scope for more aggressive promotion of this item.

Tom Robertson

Sinclair

Re: The True Line Digital Archive on Disc

Post by Sinclair » Tue May 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Thnaks for the feedback Tom. You're right that we haven't promoted the TTL archive on the forum so if you don't mind I'll use your thread to do so!

The disk contains all True Lines up to Number 120 plus the earlier journals. It has been produced by scanning originals and is fully searchable using any pdf software - Adobe Acrobat being the most well known.

Available now for mail order - and there is a PayPal option as well.

Full details on the website here.

We'd welcome any feedback from those who have already purchased a copy as this is something we will repeat at regular intervals to keep the CD archive fully up to date.

Sinclair

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Tue May 10, 2016 8:16 pm

The 2MM Scale Association produced a digital archive of their Magazine several years ago (it's now sent out on a memory stick) and annual updates are free to members through a 'members only' section of the website.

Is this latter something the committee are considering?

Jim W

John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay » Tue May 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Like Tom, I saw mention of the CD in another post. I ordered a copy on line and it arrived in a couple of days - thanks. I was worried about the size of the pdf file and how my pc and tablet would handle it. I've only used it a couple of times, but it's not proved a problem so far. Certainly, having all the issues on one searchable file is very useful.
Dawn, my very patient wife, is delighted with the possibility of some of my back issues going!

Many thanks to whoever spent the time putting the file together.

John

lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g » Tue May 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Look to the Scalefour Society for the availability of all their journals (196 of them) on-line via the member's section of their website. All there in full technicolor and at no cost to the membership. However, I have no idea how the resources (human or financial) of either Society stack up in relation to getting images of each page on-line and then making them readily accessible.

Lindsay

jasp

Post by jasp » Wed May 11, 2016 7:52 am

What Lindsay says is correct and of great interest and value.
The matter of providing the info on the website was discussed at Committee but, for a number of reasons, including the problems of actually putting the thing of the website, it was decided not to do so meantime.
I still think £10 is very reasonable for the CD, which is searchable, while the S4 archive is not. The price differential(£35 vs £10) was intended as an incentive for non-members to join the CRA
The best way to access the CD content is to download it to your computer and access it from there. The latest version of Adobe Reader is also essential.
I, personally, will keep my paper copies of TTL as well as having the archive on my computer.
Cheers

JIm P

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Wed May 11, 2016 6:45 pm

The 2MM SA Magazine archive goes back to 1960. The magazines were scanned as pdfs by a team of members, then collated and searchable indices by either category, author, date or title produced. The memory stick costs £20 and is intended to be installed onto computer. As I said, updates are made available each year which members can download from a password protected area of the Association website.

Jim W

Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie » Thu May 12, 2016 1:44 am

Like Tom, I noticed the availability of the CD several weeks ago, having been aware of its iminent arrival in the AGM Reports, ordered online and paid with Paypal, the disc arriving in 2 days! I mentioned this in passing on a recent post on Callander, and have made use of it for checking references. It's much quicker (if a bit noisy) and will be invaluable, though like Jim P, I will also be retaining the paper copies. As an additional benefit, in the Callander East post I quoted a paragraph from a relevant David Stirling TTL article which can simply be copied and pasted, making cross-referencing much easier to follow (for use on the Forum only).

A bargain whether you have a full set or not (and you can pay your subscription at the same time).
Dave L

Sinclair

Post by Sinclair » Mon May 23, 2016 9:39 pm

A separate index has now been prepared covering all the newsletters and Journals on the disc and will be included in future discs.

For those who have already purchased the disc the index is now available for download from the website here.

The archive disc can be ordered from the website here - where a further link to the index can also be found.

Sinclair