Fox Transfers 00

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
LarryC

Fox Transfers 00

Post by LarryC »

I'm sure we are all grateful for the high quality CR transfers made by Fox. Having built over a dozen 00 coaches this year, I am concerned that the layout of the coaches sheet means that there are a number of unused transfers, and severe shortages/bottlenecks in others. At over £11 per sheet, this requires a considerable outlay. I contacted Fox with the following points:

Your transfers are excellent quality, but the Caledonian coach series has design issues:
1. The 'Guard' and 'Luggage' decals are redundant; the CR did not label these after c1880
2. The large letters & numbers seem more suited to 7mm coaches
3. The NBR and stylised 'a' have no apparent use.
4. The bulk of the 'First' and 'Third' designations are condensed; these are only used on composite carriages
5. The 'normal' 'First' and 'Third' designations were used on single class carriages - the overwhelming majority - yet there is only one of each per sheet.
6. The CR had c1300 carriages; we need more 1s, 2s and 3s relative to other numbers.

In summary, we need many more numbers (esp. 1,2 and 3), and more expanded 'First' and 'Third' designations. The large lettering, As, NBR and guard/luggage designations could be dropped.

Fox came back saying they might consider a special commission as the cost of redesigning is relatively high and would need guaranteed sales. They also said the CRA had given advice when the original sheets were designed.

Am I mistaken, or would modellers appreciated a redesign along the lines above?
jasp

Re: Fox Transfers 00

Post by jasp »

A redesign would be advantageous but to expect a guarantee on sales is a bit much.
Jim P
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

I'd be interested
peterbunce

Post by peterbunce »

Hi,

Put me down as being interested in a modified set please.

Yours Peter.
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

I would also be interested.

Cheers

John
JimG

Post by JimG »

LarryC wrote: Fox came back saying they might consider a special commission as the cost of redesigning is relatively high and would need guaranteed sales. They also said the CRA had given advice when the original sheets were designed.

Am I mistaken, or would modellers appreciated a redesign along the lines above?
I've checked on their web site and the same problem occurs in their transfer sheets in the larger scales. Would a re-design be available in their range of scales, or would it only be in one scale?

Jim G.
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Guys

An update from Fox Transfers:
"Our waterslide transfers are not digitally produced. They are screen printed. Each individual colour is printed separately and built up in layers to create the final image. This is the authentic and original method which will never be replicated by digital printing. Of course this makes origination and printing of these items expensive and time consuming. Caledonian is of course pre grouping and therefore not a big seller. We like to try and please all but it is not viable for us to reprint this particular item.
However having said all that we will try and help. Can you please let us know exactly ( i.e quantity of 1’s, 2’s, 3’s, First and Third ) what we will need to print if we produce a small add on sheet to add to the existing sheet. Also could you please clarify size and colour way of the numbers. It may be months in the making but hopefully be of help for your forthcoming projects."

An add-on sheet would certainly help. I would be asking for half a dozen or so coach designations (First & Third) [not compartment designations], and some more 'C' & 'R' and numbers (say, 1 x4, 2 &3) in the two smaller sizes. Any other preferences?

PS Jim, I am not likely to use the large numbers - you are welcome to them if that helps?
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Just to add that I too would be interested.

Thank you for pursuing this, and I hope something comes out from it.

Jim S
jasp

Post by jasp »

Me too
Jim P
BillAuld

Post by BillAuld »

Also interested in a revised or additional sheet.
RossB

Post by RossB »

I'd also be interested in a set if they were to be produced.

Ross
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

And me

Best

Mike
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

An add-on sheet would certainly help. I would be asking for half a dozen or so coach designations (First & Third) [not compartment designations], and some more 'C' & 'R' and numbers (say, 1 x4, 2 &3) in the two smaller sizes. Any other preferences?
Jim Mac has asked me to do some research via the carriage book on this. Larry's suggestion seem reasonable and a very useful addition. Unless I'm missing something on the Fox website, what about Grampian stock lettering/numbering, which was also applied to the semi-corridor carriages on the C&O?

Best

Mike
peterbunce

Post by peterbunce »

Hi

The extra 'grampian style' lettering would be very useful, and then Jim Smellie can add the 50 ft corridor saloon etc to his range!

Can I ask that the word 'saloon' be included please?

I think that John Boyle may have the Grampian lettering - I will ask him.

Yours Peter
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Please add my name to the list of potential purchasers.

Tony B
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

All the coach lettering styles are illustrated in colour and mono in the CR Livery book, which is about to be out of print, as the remaining stock is down to single figures.
jim mac
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Gents

The latest communication from Fox is as follows:

"As far as the extra items are concerned – if we are just talking about existing items already on the sheets - this would be the most cost effective solution.
We can print these to add on to the existing sheets and to buy as separates if required. The cost of these would be per sheet (price depending on what we include). If you can give us an idea, in your opinion, as to how many of the items we are short to make the sheet complete – we can then provide you with how ever many sheets you would need for your individual requirements.

If there are other elements which we do not have already then the cost implications would have to be look into and probably be charged prior to printing. We would need sight of these before making a judgement."

This is a pretty reasonable offer, given commercial realities. My preference would be to go with the offer for extra copies of existing items, along the lines I suggested earlier (there is already a 'saloon' item on the existing sheet). I have made up a mock-up and will send it to Fox.

Regarding the Grampian lettering, it may be possible to make one's own, using 'Crafty Computer Paper'. A small font such Garamond 8 point, hollowed looks reasonable. On the other hand, Fox produce a large number of sheets for the Highland, so a later run of the Grampian style may be produced. The financing of this would be an issue, however, but the Association has been midwife to other CR items such as the Bachman signal box.

PS There is no 7mm CR sheet but there is a 10mm set.
JimG

Post by JimG »

LarryC wrote:Regarding the Grampian lettering, it may be possible to make one's own, using 'Crafty Computer Paper'. A small font such Garamond 8 point, hollowed looks reasonable.
I've been thinking about this for a while. Modelling in S and now 1:32, there is a shortage of suitable transfers around and I've got some Crafty Computer paper in to try some experiments. One thing I was thinking about was scanning the images in the Livery book as a starter and I wondered if there would be any objection from Jim Mac, or the publishers.

Jim G.
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Jim G
There would be no objections to the use of the Livery Book images and, as I still have all the plates as digital files, I would be happy to let you have a copy of the files if you identify the ones of most interest.
jim mac
JimG

Post by JimG »

jim mac wrote:Jim G
There would be no objections to the use of the Livery Book images and, as I still have all the plates as digital files, I would be happy to let you have a copy of the files if you identify the ones of most interest.
Jim,

That's very kind of you. I'm still working out all the ins and outs of building my coaches in 1:32 scale at the moment so painting and lettering is some way off but I will come back for some files when the coaches are ready for painting. I also have to experiment with getting the colour of the coach body on the decal to match the paint on the coach so that I can print full panels behind the lettering which will make cutting out and fitting the decals a lot easier.

Jim G.
Coronach

Post by Coronach »

I'd also be aboard for a modified 4mm set.

Dave.
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Add my name to the list as well.

Lindsay
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Good news gents

Lynda of Fox Transfers has told me that the supplementary set of CR coach transfers will be included in the next run of sheets with similar colours. She said it may be up to four months away, so there is time to save up. I'll keep an eye open for the new sheet.
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

I'm up for that.
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Well done Larry and all those who made positive comments. Can you please tell Lynda that we'll publicise the additional sheet on this forum and in the froum write-up that I do for TTL.

Best

Mike