Caledonia Models?

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
jasp

Caledonia Models?

Post by jasp »

Does anybody remember a model shop at the foot of Pitt Street, Glasgow, with the above, or a similar name?
The owner was, as I recall, George Leask.
Jim P
fordyce

Re: Caledonia Models?

Post by fordyce »

Jim, must be the Clyde Model Dockyard that I was allowed to visit as a nipper at Christmas. Howard
JimG

Post by JimG »

jasp wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:14 pm Does anybody remember a model shop at the foot of Pitt Street, Glasgow, with the above, or a similar name?
The owner was, as I recall, George Leask.
Yes, I remember it - the Caledonia Model Company. It moved from Pitt Street to a comparatively "flashy" shop on Argyll Street near Anderston Cross in the 1960s. A large part of its business was model engineering equipment and supplies as well as model railway supplies. I remember being served by an older lady on the few times I visited the shop. Where I worked in Glasgow meant that it was easier to get to Jimmy Glassford's in Cambridge Street.

Jim G.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

This is the transfer on top of an H&M Powermaster transformer, our main power unit in the 50s and 60s and still going strong today on the analogue test track.
TRAIN HandM POWERMASTER.JPG
TRAIN HandM POWERMASTER.JPG (117.35 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
The Clyde Model Dockyard was I think in the corner of the Argyll Arcade, I saved up for my first loco at 6d a week pocket money, a Triang R259s and R35 tender and bought it there. They used little shield shaped embossed stickers, Im sure I have a photo somewhere.
Glassfords .... I bought a Triang R555/6 Blue Pullman there. The man climbed a ladder to the top shelf and dropped it flat on to the counter from that height. I remember the look of concern I gave my dad but it was OK when we got it home.
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I remember the Model Dockyard in the Arcade, but Glassfords was my 'go to' in the '60's as I crossed Cambridge Street every day on my way between Killermont St bus station and the Dental Hospital. From what I remember, he could be a wee bit curmudgeonly at times!

Jim W
fordyce

Post by fordyce »

Funny how memory plays tricks. Could have sworn and all that! What I do remember (with certainty?) is walking down to Bath St with my grandfather to get my annual tram map (bus and trolleybus also included, but they didn't matter...) from the Corporation Transport Office - at age 8, I was very proud, indeed in awe, of being allowed to go inside on my own to ask 'the man at the desk' for a map!
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

jimwatt2mm wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:23 am I remember the Model Dockyard in the Arcade, but Glassfords was my 'go to' in the '60's as I crossed Cambridge Street every day on my way between Killermont St bus station and the Dental Hospital. From what I remember, he could be a wee bit curmudgeonly at times!

Jim W
curmudgeonly is a word Ive never stumbled on before, but certainly seems appropriate if its the same man!
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

fordyce wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:26 am Funny how memory plays tricks. Could have sworn and all that! What I do remember (with certainty?) is walking down to Bath St with my grandfather to get my annual tram map (bus and trolleybus also included, but they didn't matter...) from the Corporation Transport Office - at age 8, I was very proud, indeed in awe, of being allowed to go inside on my own to ask 'the man at the desk' for a map!
Indeed. My memory is very weird, some things stick in my mind so vividly its like it was yesterday, other probably more important things ...gone or maybe gone until triggered.
jasp

Post by jasp »

Thank you for your responses - I am, somewhat, relieved that my memory has not let me down.
Yes he was into model engineering, as was Jimmy Glassford, the latter I also recall as “somewhat unapproachable” at times. I was also familiar with Clyde Model Dockyard but it was much more of a “toffs” shop.
I too, remember trudging along Renfrew Street (from the Dental Hospital) to Killermont Street bus station, particularly in Winter, and having to wait an interminable time for the East Kilbride bus. The bus station was an incredibly cold and draughty place at the best of times no seats or wind shields like it’s replacement.
Jim P
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

jasp wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:01 pm I too, remember trudging along Renfrew Street (from the Dental Hospital) to Killermont Street bus station, particularly in Winter, and having to wait an interminable time for the East Kilbride bus. The bus station was an incredibly cold and draughty place at the best of times no seats or wind shields like it’s replacement.
Indeed, Jim, though I was possibly a bit luckier as I could get almost any of the Eastern Scottish (green) buses, (but not the 27, Edinburgh via Shotts, as it turned off at Garrowhill instead of carrying on through Baillieston to Bargeddie), so usually didn't have to wait too long.

Jim W
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

This might jog memory, look at the prices!! although quite a lot in those days. Wrong spelling of Argyle St too.

TRAIN CALEDONIA MODEL CO.jpg
TRAIN CALEDONIA MODEL CO.jpg (101.82 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
David Thorpe

Post by David Thorpe »

I once had a couple of their solenoid point motors. They weren't nearly as easy to fit as the H&M ones and I don't think I ever got them to work properly because of that. Here's a 1959 advert:

declaration004.jpg
declaration004.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

Looking at prices, £1 in 1959 is equivalent to £19.45 today so the Caley solenoid works out at about £8.75 at current values.

DT
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Jimmy Glassford unapproachable! As a youngster I used to think that he was an ogre - I dreaded going into his shop yet there were few alternatives. He once sold my father a model locomotive as a christmas present for me, which never ran properly - and he wouldn't take it back.
I am relieved that I am not the only one who has rather negative memories of him.
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

PS, I recently saw this photo on the internet which really brought back distant fond memories.
Attachments
Clyde Model Dockyard.jpg
Clyde Model Dockyard.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

I never saw it with so few people! Usually we couldn't get near enough to see in the window. An uncle bought me a cabin cruiser, clockwork of course and disaster, didn't the clockwork run out in the middle of Queen's Park pond. I was scared to go home until it eventually drifted to the side. They had a small range of these boats which were quite well made and cost something like 6 to 8 shillings. I have here a wooden gaff sloop for restoration which I think is pre-war.

Allan F
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

Did they move to a drafty corner in a complex beside the bus station? I still have a couple of transfer crests I bought from them sometime in the 1960s.(
I am not fast)
jasp

Post by jasp »

My recollection is that the shop did move, for a short time, when that area was being redeveloped but did not last long.
The shop in the horrible concrete building that sold the transfers was SMS. He may have succeeded Caley models and purchased their stock. The model railway stuff he sold included DJH kits as I recall buying some CR loco kits.
That shop eventually moved but he stopped the model railway stuff as, he said, newspapers, magazines and cigarettes made him more money
Jim P
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Did SMS eventually move to somewhere about St Enoch's Square? I think I bought some Loco numbers and crests from him there, which I passed on to Mr Summers (I think)

Allan F
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Yes, Allan. I have several transfers from those days, thank you.
Jim Grindlay indeed had a shop in St Enoch Square, upstairs as I recall. I was only ever in it once.

Jim S
northcroft62

Post by northcroft62 »

Re Caledonia models

On one of my visits to Jimmy Glassfords shop the person before me asked for an item and was told in a gruff voice that
yes he had it but was too busy to look it out come back tommorow there was only two of us in the shop.
That was the customer service then.

Donald Campbell
northcroft62

Post by northcroft62 »

The message i previously posted titled Caledonia models i should have said Glassfords

Donald Campbell
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Ive stumbled across this Facebook interior shot of the Argyll Arcade c 1960s.

https://www.facebook.com/GlasgowCityArc ... 6789176647

Its a fascinating group with quite a lot of railway shots too. Worth a look through.