Ratio lattice signals

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
Steve Parsons

Ratio lattice signals

Post by Steve Parsons »

My son who is also an ardent railway modeler but who unfortunately was tempted by the dark side and models the railway company's from predominantly the east side of Scotland often picks up Caledonian stuff and passes it onto me. while talking on the phone the other day I mentioned I needed to get a couple of signals and he said he had a spare pack of the Ratio LNER lattice post signals and if I could do anything with them I was welcome to them.

Question is can you do anything with them. If fitted with the appropriate etched arms and fittings do the posts make acceptably Caledonian signal posts?
Jim Summers

Re: Ratio lattice signals

Post by Jim Summers »

Steve,
You might find this useful, from the MSE instructions on their etched posts. Many pictures and details in the Signalling the Caledonian book, of course, together with Lindsay's account of building some rather fine ones.

JimS
Lattice posts by MSE compressed.jpg
Lattice posts by MSE compressed.jpg (4.42 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Thanks Jim I do have the signaling book and use Wizard for lots of parts so was aware of the MSE products and planed to use there arms etc but the Ratio set was offered free of charge so not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth the original question still stand has any one made an acceptable Caledonian signal post from the Ratio kit?

PS Note I sad acceptable I except its not going to be perfect just look right for my home layout
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Sorry, Steve, I haven't had any in my possession to look or try, so I can't really help there.

JimS
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

I had a go with the ratio ones a long time ago. Really they looked a bit too heavy, and I couldn't get fine tube to act as arm and counterweight bearing accurate enough in the plastic to make them work properly. When I did just stick a plastic block in the post and drill through it I found that they flexed a bit when the wire was pushed so that the arms didn't move properly.

I think I just binned them, I have used MSE posts since.
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Thanks again Jim but thanks Dave that's just what I needed, as I say there free but sounds like there going to be more trouble than there worth if that's the case then I wont even try and I'll just use the MSE product instead.
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

I can't comment on the Ratio plastic parts. However, when it comes to the etched arms, spectacles, and so on, there is an etch being prepared presently (not sure what stage it has reached - perhaps others can comment) which includes signal arms and spectacles that are superior to the MSE items plus balance counterweight arms not available elsewhere. I used early prototype etches of the counterweights on my signals and also received early examples of the arms and spectacles which I intend substituting for the MSE items already painted and glazed, but thankfully not permanently fitted. They're all worth waiting for.

Lindsay