Brake Lever Guard/Guide

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
David Elvy

Brake Lever Guard/Guide

Post by David Elvy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:44 pm

The 7mm scale covered van kits from Gladiator have solid white metal castings for the brake lever guard and I am looking to change these for something a bit closer to the prototype, can someone with more knowledge on the subject confirm which of the following would be the correct type to use on these vans

BLG8B - Pre Group 10 hole with Rounded lever rest
BLG8A - Pre Group 10 hole with curved top sheld

These references are from the old Ambis range now sold by hobby holidays web link http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/images/B ... uction.pdf

Any advice which doesn’t require scratch building 24 guards would be appreciated.

David

dalziel

Re: Brake Lever Guard/Guide

Post by dalziel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:52 pm

David,
Ambis brake guides BLG8A and 8B don't seem to be available in 7mm scale from Hobby Holidays and the assembly guide from your link also indicates that they are 4mm only. Whilst I would fully support your aspiration to refine the detail, are the cast ones with the holes for the pin drilled out that offensive, I assume this is for stock to run where these sort of details are in the main pretty much invisible as the trains pass by. The only other source I am aware of is from Bill Bedford whose 7mm etches are available from Eileens Emporium, but these tend to be etches of complete brake gear,shoes levers etc.

David G.
Last edited by dalziel on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:36 pm

David G

Their should be a picture of the castings attached, the brake handle is quite fine for a white metal casting but the brake lever guide/guard needs to be replaced
20121228_181437-1-1.jpg
20121228_181437-1-1.jpg (13.25 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Invertrain do a white metal casting for their NB cattle van which doesn’t look too bad. I am hoping my stock will be suitable for exhibition use hence my waiting to achieve something a little bit better in detail.

David E

dalziel

Post by dalziel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:29 pm

David,
Attached is a shot of the outside framed version of the 10t van albeit from an original Meteor kit. This incorporates the brake gear parts as supplied and the cast lever guide doesn't seem too obvious. What has been done differently is the addition of compensation rather than the fixed cast 'W' irons in the interests of stable running. This van has been run on my layout and others at number of exhibitions without attracting adverse comment about the brake parts. Fragility of parts is something you need to consider for stock used on an exhibition layout, even with the best of intentions it does get handled and is all too susceptible to damage

David G.
Attachments
YR4C0215 copy.jpg
YR4C0215 copy.jpg (155.61 KiB) Viewed 3151 times