Advice on my Caledonian 812 Model

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
Victorian_Lad

Advice on my Caledonian 812 Model

Post by Victorian_Lad »

I've been building a 3D model of a Caledonian 812 Class for a game called "Train Simulator 2017" for the past six months and was looking for some constructive criticism and opinions on her. This is the first batch of 812s to come out of the works in 1899. I know off hand that their are a few problems to fix with it like the cab windows, smokebox bits, lamps are supposed to be crimson I think, and the safety valve and small details but I cant have it "too detailed" or it will brake the game as the simulator can only handle so much. I can post progress shots of it too if you like? We already got recordings for sounds on Sunday from the footplate of 828 and once finished 10% of total sales will go to the next overhaul of 828. The 812s are very personal to me as both my great grandfather and his father before him worked on them and Ill be moving to Aviemore in a few month permanently so I can volunteer at Straths and see her. Also have more engines on my list to do from the CR like 123, Cardeans, 439s and pretty much every class that comes on the CRA CD drawings and 10% of total sales from those will go to the CRA donation (with the exception of 419 as that will go to Boness). Anyway I will post a few pictures below and please let me know what you think :) - Kris Image Image Image
John Lindsay

Re: Advice on my Caledonian 812 Model

Post by John Lindsay »

Really impressive! Might tempt me back into playing train simulator after a few years.
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Looks good to me, if I was to note anything it would be the chassis rails along side the firebox which can be seen in this picture which are missing from your 3D model
812 class.jpg
812 class.jpg (270.29 KiB) Viewed 7690 times
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Steve Parsons wrote:Looks good to me, if I was to note anything it would be the chassis rails along side the firebox which can be seen in this picture which are missing from your 3D model
812 class.jpg
Which railing along the firebox you talking about? The one above the handrail? - Kris
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

No the rail above the hand rail on the loco in the photo is the pipe work for the exhaust ejector connected to the vacuum brakes which most likely was fitted later in its life very few if any having vacuum brakes from new most just having steam brakes on the loco only or in the case of the blue locos steam and air brakes. The rail/plate I'm referring to is at the base of the firebox side between the second splasher and the cab and is a distinctive feature of both these and the Jumbos
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Kris
The following photographs hopefully illustrate the point Steve was making about the area where the firebox meets the running plate.
There is a box arrangement along the footplate between the cab and the splasher
828 26aug10 023.jpg
828 26aug10 023.jpg (80.84 KiB) Viewed 7647 times
This is to cover the bracket which locates the firebox end of the boiler and attaches the boiler to the frame, seen here before the boiler is lowered into the frame
Boiler from rear.jpg
Boiler from rear.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 7647 times
In the following picture as well as noting the bracket now securing the boiler in place, note also the angle iron which links the boiler to the cab front sheet
100_5067.jpg
100_5067.jpg (83.59 KiB) Viewed 7647 times
The following illustrates that the angle iron at the join between the cab front sheet and the boiler is painted black with white edge lines. This is the only omission in your otherwise excellent representation of the livery.
828 26aug10 021.jpg
828 26aug10 021.jpg (110.37 KiB) Viewed 7647 times
Hope this assists.
jim mac
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Ahh I see now, Thanks for point that out, will need to add that onto the engine. Cheers mates! :) - Kris
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

A nice bit of computer modelling.

I think the Route indicator plates look a little on the wide side, though it might just be the perspective. Good to see you have added them anyway. There was a dimensioned drawing in TTL a long while back, but I can't find it atm .