Conner No. 1 class information please

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
Steve Parsons

Conner No. 1 class information please

Post by Steve Parsons » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Hello chaps I was wondering if any body has a good drawing or any dimensions for the conner No. 1 class built between 1869 and 1871. Apart from a few photos scattered over verious books and the fact they had 6ft 2in driving wheels I cant seem to find any information also a drawing of the for wheel tender would be a great help too.
Conner No. 1 class loco and tender.jpg
Conner No. 1 class loco and tender.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 11883 times
Thanks for any help you can give me Steve

jimwatt2mm

Re: Conner No. 1 class information please

Post by jimwatt2mm » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Steve,

There are drawings of Nos. 2 & 6, built by Dübs, and the Neilson built version, the latter with the 4-wheel tender, in TTL No. 56 P26/7. I can scan and PM these to you if you don't have that issue or the archive CD.

Jim W

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Yes please Jim, I'm not sure when that issue was but I suspect it was before my time with the association and I as yet haven't got the CD. Its on the to do list as time and funds permit but it a long list that never seems to go down unfortunately.

I'm not sure if you have my email but its

[email protected]

Thanks again Jim

Steve

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 pm

The drawings have come through fine thanks Jim I'm working on scaling them at the moment also I'm sending you a PM rather than clutter up this thread with general chit chat.

Thanks Steve

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Here you go Jim the first test drawings of some of the parts drawn from the drawing you sent me
Conner test sheet.jpg
Conner test sheet.jpg (18.02 KiB) Viewed 11813 times
I'm just going to test cut these all in 10 thou to see how they come out especially the splashers though in the main cut most parts will be done in 20thou. The red inner chassis side will be just a template for a brass inner chassis. I'm cutting the splasher as a full circle and will trim it to fit rather than attempt to get it right by trial and error.

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks to the great help given by Jim Watt I've managed to make progress on the Conner and have now tweaked the drawings ready to do another cut with the Silhouette. Being the bodger I am I've decided to mount it on a Hornby M7 chassis with the motor swapped for a Mitsumi unit to get the height down the down side is the M7 wheel base is about 1.5mm shorter but as I say I can live with that and have altered the drawings to account for the difference. Some my swoon but come on 1.5mm is not that much and some RTR products are out even more than that.

The drawings have been altered so that when compensating for the slightly shorter wheel base the over all length of the loco will be the same. Here is a picture of one of the unaltered test side frames laid over the Hornby M7 chassis
Conner M7 chassis with outer frame.jpg
Conner M7 chassis with outer frame.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 11748 times
As you can see the difference is so slight that altering it is not going to change the lines of the loco.

Any way another appeal please has any one got a drawing even just a GA drawing of the Britain's 670 class 0-4-2 locomotive, even a set of dimensions would help things like wheel base boiler size etc. would be a great help as apart from the driving wheel diameter I cant find anything

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:47 pm

As I've told Steve in a PM, I have some 0-4-2 drawings at home, but I'm on holiday at the moment.

Jim W

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Sorry Jim I just had a look at the pm again and I misinterpreted it I thought you weren't sure if you had a drawing if you think that you have I'll hang on.

Once again sorry Jim that will teach me to read any messages more carefully next time and not glance over them (a bad fault of mine) Steve

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Interesting double slide bar for the piston rod there Steve! if it were me, I'd be tempted to cheat and have only a single slide bar - on the bottom- as the top one may not be seen behind the frame. Single slide bars are fairly straightforward to male up. That limited view through the opening in the frame helps a lot in my opinion.

Alan

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks Alan funny enough I hadn't dismissed the idea of a single slide bar but at the top in Britain's fashion. This would be above and thus out of the way of the front wheel cutting down the risk of the wheel shorting on the bottom slide bar and cross head which if not having a slide bar can be flat at the bottom. This would also let me give the front wheel's a slight side to side movement to assist the loco on bends and points.

Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Steve, I got the single slide bar and crosshead to suit from Markits and they worked fine for my 179 after a bit of juggling to get everything parallel. I hadn't expected the piston rod to include its own channel for inside the cylinder but was glad that it did. I suspect you are probably right about fouling the front wheel if 'upside down'. Graham

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 am

Hello Graham, I built the slide rods and cylinders for a friends highland railway loco as he didn't feel confidant enough to have a go himself (Not happy about fine soldering) and the side rods on that were square section tubes with the cross head having round tube which removed the risk of binding and it seems to work as the locos still going strong now. When I built that I had the piston rod running in a guide tube inside the cylinder. I'll do the same with this but as its hidden I'll use a square section piece of brass rod over a round brass tube both for the slide bar and the piston rod guide inside the cylinder. Does that make sense? well if not don't worry I know what I want in my mind.

Any way I've altered the drawing slightly to take about 1.5mm out of the driving wheel base and the results can be seen in the picture of the original frame (top) and the resized one (bottom) and those with a keen eye will see that the cutouts in the side frame have been altered to suit the M7 chassis but unless you put them side by side like this you would never notice it so you can see the slightly shorter wheel base M7 chassis doesn't spoil the lines of the loco
Conner second test cut.jpg
Conner second test cut.jpg (20.21 KiB) Viewed 11674 times

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:02 am

Once again Jim you've come to my rescue with the drawings and information you sent me and the drawings were perfect for what I needed, they've already been down loaded and scaled on my Inkscape drawing program ready for the future but for now its back to the Conner,
Thanks again Steve

RossB

Post by RossB » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Looking good Steve. Far more ambitious than anything I've seen attempted with the cutter before, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Ross

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Guys

I am coming a bit late to this stream having been in hospital for most of August and now with a long recovery period from major surgery. None of you really wanted to know that did you.

John Boyle produced a 4mm etch of the No 1 class 2-4-0 which we originally intended to produce as a kit. This fell of stony ground after we found that the proposed 4mm lost wax castings set was going to cost more than £80 per engine. I had a few white metal castings made from the sample brass castings and still have some of the bits and a spare etch.

I did mention progress on my model on the Forum a couple of years ago but again this lost impetus because I had difficulty in fitting the original motor and gear box configuration into the engine. My current solution is to use a Steve Duckworth drive train as per the 812 class engines featured in recent issues of the Scalefour News.

Steve - it might be useful for you to borrow a spare etch to help with the drawing work.

I have attached a photo taken 12 months ago. I must have one of the underframe somewhere but couldn't find instantly. Since this was taken I have fitted the motion to the underframe.

IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG (27.15 KiB) Viewed 11410 times
Tony B

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:04 pm

I can't find a photo of the Conner underframe with motor and wheels in place. While I sort myself out to take one I have attached two photos that show the underframe and motion under construction. The observant will note this features split frames and continuous springy beams.

Tony B.
012.JPG
012.JPG (54.47 KiB) Viewed 11390 times
028.JPG
028.JPG (45.76 KiB) Viewed 11390 times

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:35 pm

Thank you Tony but I think I have everything I need now for the No.1 class loco build

Steve

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 am

Sorry about the lack of progress on the modeling front but most of the last couple of months have been taken up with my other "Toy"
Rover. By the sea side.jpg
Rover. By the sea side.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 11246 times
Having just got it back on the road after a protracted top end engine rebuild the third time out one of the rear springs broke after hitting a pot hole so its back off the road while I get a new leaf to replace the broken one.

I've not been totally idle as I've been catching up on some silhouette drawing commissions I had for about half a dozen people. This has included some HR GNR and GE stock

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am

Very nice Steve, but isn't it a bit too dark for 'red oxide' :lol:

Alan

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:48 am

Alan K wrote:Very nice Steve, but isn't it a bit too dark for 'red oxide' :lol:

Alan
As a passenger vehicle it should be purple brown, so I would say it's a bit too red! ;)

Jim W

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:45 am

Well there's no air pump on the side of the bonnet in front of the drivers side door so it should really be goods black I guess (Actually it was originally black all over when new and a previous owner added the red when it had some restoration - LMS passenger maybe?) Built in January 1949 and first registered in February 1949 in Southport it was registered to Bamber garage in Southport to the owner Cyril Bamber who was also town mayor and the car was used by his wife. This model is a bit of a hybrid being basically the pre war body mounted on a 1950s style chassis and is mechanically very similar to the Rover P4 cyclops and the series one Land Rover.
A final picture, I leave it at that before the thought police start sending me PMs about how I'm not being a good boy and not following the site rules again or something like that.
Rover at the hospital.jpg
Rover at the hospital.jpg (65.42 KiB) Viewed 11230 times

dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:40 pm

That's a very elegant gentlemens' carriage. A friend had one of these in the mid 60's and I remember affectionately the jacking arrangement; lift a wooden panel in the front floor and insert the hydraulic jack through the hole. Slot a peg into a hole in the chassis and sit in comfort -- and dry -- while wiggling the handle. You still had to get out to change the wheel, though. You obviously spend your time and money in a worthwhile way when not modelling.

Allan F