Caledonian Railway 903 Class model WIP

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
Victorian_Lad

Caledonian Railway 903 Class model WIP

Post by Victorian_Lad »

ImageImageImage
Some work in progress shots of Caledonian Railway 903 Class No. 903 "Cardean" in CR Classic livery - Dark Blue using Humbrol 15 "Midnight blue". The Cardean name is handmade using as many photographs I have of cardean and photos from the internet. Still need to do the front bufferbeam "CR" and "903" and finish the cab. Made this using the drawings you get in the locomotive drawing CD. How do you guys like it? I'm rather excited to see how she looks in LMS Crimson and Lined Black.

Kris
jasp

Re: Caledonian Railway 903 Class model WIP

Post by jasp »

That looks great!
Jim P
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

I'll second that
Steve
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Great to see these locos 're-incarnated'! Now, how about a Connor 2-4-0 or 0-4-2? ;)

Jim W
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Kris
This looks impressive, but in the CR Livery book I made a case for the light blue becoming the standard for passenger locomotives from the introduction of the Cardean class. Would it be possible with your software to replace Humbrol 15 with Humbrol 14.
Producing images of the same locomotive in the two different blues would be a wonderful addition to the "Caley Blue" debate.
Jim Mac
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

jim mac wrote:Kris
This looks impressive, but in the CR Livery book I made a case for the light blue becoming the standard for passenger locomotives from the introduction of the Cardean class. Would it be possible with your software to replace Humbrol 15 with Humbrol 14.
Producing images of the same locomotive in the two different blues would be a wonderful addition to the "Caley Blue" debate.
Jim Mac
Of course, I just prefer Dark Blue livery over light. I will be doing the light blue livery soon and I can show it side by side. By the way, didnt Cardean carry Dark Blue livery for a very short while before going into light blue?

Kris
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

jimwatt2mm wrote:Great to see these locos 're-incarnated'! Now, how about a Connor 2-4-0 or 0-4-2? ;)

Jim W
I would love to make some Connor engines but unfortunately I don't have any drawings of any of them unless someone would like to private message them to me, then I would be more than happy to make them. :)

Kris
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

ImageImage

Here is Cardean in Caledonian Railway Light Blue Livery using Humbrol 14. Also a side by side comparison of the two liveries.

Kris
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Ooooh! Splendid, Kris.

JimS
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Kris
Well done and thanks for the very quick turnround, seeing the two blues side by side is a great image.
I also prefer the dark blue, particularly as applied to CR828, but the light blue is a better representation of the Saltire.
Flags (reduced).jpg
Flags (reduced).jpg (91.69 KiB) Viewed 18845 times
I like this illustration as a representation of the two "Caley Blues"
jim mac
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Hello, I recently starting redoing my Cardean model to get out on sale in a few weeks time and Ive completely redone the model with more detail. However, I have come across a little stumbling block. There is little to no cab reference of these beauties. Does anyone know if there are pictures or diagrams of the Cardeans? I know there is a half diagram of the cab in the "Forty Years of Caledonian Locomotives" however these are very ideal for modeling. Any help would be much appreciated :)

tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Sorry to display my lack of IT skills but how do I open the 'images' in Kris's posts?

Tony B
peterbunce

Post by peterbunce »

Hi Tony,

I think it is the program - early entries have been deleted, the latest entry has the photo/image copy e still available - it could be'that a URL needed when they are clicked on, whereas the latest views are still in the system?

Earlier images could be deleted to save spce on the server??

Peter.
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

Hello all, the CR 903 Class has been released and here is a video of the finished product. https://youtu.be/wmXSJvhK9Jo
jasp

Post by jasp »

Fascinating stuff!
JimP
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Beautiful, Kris, and some of the scenery looks remarkably like the WCML! Is that Lammington Viaduct at 7.45? The upper quadrant signals with CR livery do jar a bit, though. Almost tempted to waste, sorry, spend, time on a train simulator!! :o

Jim W
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Sorry for being a little techno-phobic but how do I open Kris's images?
Tony B
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

tony brenchley wrote:Sorry for being a little techno-phobic but how do I open Kris's images?
Tony B
The photos should appear in his posts, for the videos just click on the link.

Jim W
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

tony brenchley wrote:Sorry for being a little techno-phobic but how do I open Kris's images?
Tony B
Hello Tony,
Unfortunately, the images I put in are no longer available in this thread, however, you can still view them on my website here. It was all the liveries I made for the CR Cardeans. - http://digitaltraction.co.uk/mainsite/p ... s-cardean/

Kris
tony brenchley

Post by tony brenchley »

Thanks Kris

I am not sure which livery is correct (!) but I like the dark blue although I guess this was never carried.

Tony B
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Impressive as usual, Kris.
Someone has mentioned the signals, and they are indeed an anachronism. SInce signals inevitably feature a lot and add so much to your splendid scenes, I wonder if it would be worth your while doing some work on Caledonian-style signals. If you are so minded, I can provide quite a lot of material, and of course we have fully erected Caledonian signals at the SRPS Museum in Bo'ness, to where I am off in a few minutes for my weekly stint.

JimS
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

Hi Kris,

I just came on this thread for the first time ... what a wonderful series of images. I think what I found really striking was seeing a full-length train in CR livery. The blue engine is very nice, but the coaches are really elegant!

Do you have a way of regulating the boiler pressure? In your video, every shot has a plume of steam from the safety valves, which the fireman would have quenched with the injector unless he was standing at a station with a gradient to climb (or unless he'd badly mismanaged his firebox). Similarly, the continuous dark exhaust from the chimney is appropriate for a steep gradient at slow speed with the fire burning badly, but not for a loco at speed with a hot fire and complete combustion of the fuel. The fireman would have had his wages docked on some railways if he worked Cardean as you've shown it, or at the very least had some hard words from his driver.

I apologise in advance if that seems like nit-picking of what is a really delightful, and highly realistic, simulation. It's stunning, and thanks for posting it.

Graham