7mm Coach Painting

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
David Elvy

7mm Coach Painting

Post by David Elvy »

I bit the bullet last night and started painting the white panels of the coach, I have followed what seems to be the general consensus on how to paint the panels by painting the coach lake first, ignore where my 12":ft fingers have smudged the paint.
The white paint seems to be creeping out from the panel area, the photo shows the coach having had a second coat of white paint.

From others experience is the paint too dilute, have I applied too much in one session etc?

Any advice appreciated, I have a few years worth of coaches that I have put off painting so I would appreciate any advice to avoid having to resort to paint stripper.

David
Attachments
6 Wheel Coach Painting Crop.jpg
6 Wheel Coach Painting Crop.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 8873 times
6 Wheel Coach Painting.jpg
6 Wheel Coach Painting.jpg (49.41 KiB) Viewed 8875 times
John Duffy

Re: 7mm Coach Painting

Post by John Duffy »

David, it just looks like another coat is required. I recently did the same thing in 4mm, but used white ink most successfully. White over mahogany is always going to be something of a challenge, but I certainly found the ink, far easier to work with than paint.

As for tidying up the little smudges, I use wooden barbeque skewers sharpened. They lift these little blemishes without damaging the other paint layers.

John
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Thanks, is their any particular ink you would recommend or suggest avoiding?

David
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I would agree that another coat of white is needed. I used the same technique in 2mm scale and had to apply several thin coats of the white to get a good result. In between coats I touched up the beading with thin purple brown paint in a bow pen.

Jim W
John Duffy

Post by John Duffy »

I use Daler - Rowney ink. Not that I chose it for any particular reason, it was simply what was available in my local art store. It worked well for me.

John
Last edited by John Duffy on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

I think it's Daler Rowney. If the inks John is referring to are acrylic (and your lake is enamel) then using acrylic thinner on a bud should remove unwanted bits of white without affecting the lake areas. It's a bit like painting enamel on top of a cellulose base coat -the enamel thinners (ie turps) won't damage the cellulose (and you can take the enamel off and start again).
The other thing worth doing for this finicky work is to use a good quality brush if you haven't already. For years I've seen recommendations for 'the best quality brush you can buy', but being a cheapskate I kept ignored them. But I recently splashed out on a set of small sable brushes and have now seen the light! It really makes a difference.
It's always a problem when applying a light coat over a darker one - you get what painters call 'grin through'. The answer is not to apply a thicker coat, but to do it in several thin coats, and with a good quality brush you should be able to bend the bristles just enough for the paint line to run against the moulding of the panel as you follow it round. And you won't get brush marks either.

Alan
jasp

Post by jasp »

It seems illogical, but whites are more opaque than reds so the method of applying white on top of the basic coach colour is, indeed, the right way round
Jim P
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Thank you all for the advice to use white, said ink was purchased and applied yesterday to the sides of three coaches, I will check tonight to see the results.

I applied the ink under a magnifying glass, what I would like to know is how the heck those modelling in the smaller scales, especially the really mad folk modelling in 2mm scale apply the ink, I used a 000 brush to transfer droplets from the jar to the models, just how do others place the ink on their models?

David
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I too used a 000 brush with thinned Humbrol enamel, putting a drop into the centre of the panel and then using the brush to gently 'push' the paint to the edges. One coat gave sufficient density at the edges but it took at least one further coat for the centre of the panel. For narrow panels and around the bolletchions, I applied a spot of paint in diagonally opposite corners and let capillary action take it around the rest, one coat usually being enough. I touched up the beading with a bow pen in between coats of white.

You can see the results on a 4-wheeled brake 3rd in this photo
bk3rd & horsebox.jpg
bk3rd & horsebox.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 8732 times
and there is one (in B&W) of a 45ft 3rd here http://www.2mm.org.uk/photoceleb/rollingstock.htm

Jim W
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Jim

I can't type the words I am thinking but I take my hat off to you, lovely models.

David
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

I have some of the 10/0 brushes from this lot for fine details.

https://www.cassart.co.uk/painting/brus ... _brush.htm

Not cheap, but they are good.