Drummond 4 Wheel Coach Wheels

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 pm

The Drummond 4 wheel coaches had 4ft wheels but can anyone confirm what type of wheels, I wouldn't expect them to be spoked but were they disk, disk with holes or maunsel etc?

Thanks David

jimwatt2mm

Re: Drummond 4 Wheel Coach Wheels

Post by jimwatt2mm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:26 pm

David Elvy wrote:The Drummond 4 wheel coaches had 4ft wheels but can anyone confirm what type of wheels, I wouldn't expect them to be spoked but were they disk, disk with holes or maunsel etc?

Thanks David
The drawings on P144 (brake third) and p147 (PBV) of the Carriages book show 3'9" wheels with 12 spokes, while that on P146, of the 'radial bogie' applied to one of the Cathcart Circle trains, shows a 3'9" Mansell wheel.

Jim W

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 am

Jim

Thanks, I did consult the coach book before posting but when I purchased the etches John Boyle informed me the coaches ran on 4ft wheels, I have also seen a reference to these carriages having the same wheels as the Ashbury coaches which lead to my question.
I have a wee jig I made up for setting wheels to the correct height and when offered up to the underside of the assembled chassis a 4ft wheel would definitely fit to give the correct buffer height above rail.

Its not annoying me that I can't for that reference to the wheels being the same size and type fitted to the Ashbury's; a picture speaks a thousand words so 12 spoke 3ft 9" wheels it will be.

Thanks

David Elvy

Re: Drummond 4 Wheel Coach Wheels

Post by David Elvy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:41 am

Correction, no one makes a 3' 9" wheel in 7mm scale and considering the cost involved nor will I, 3' 7" Maunsel and 3' 7" 10 spoke are the closest I can find.

Double checked the drawings I have last night and it is now annoying me as to why I thought they had the larger wheels, ho hum.

Thanks, David