St. Rollox Works drawings

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
Victorian_Lad

St. Rollox Works drawings

Post by Victorian_Lad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:03 am

Hello, I am curious if there is anyway I can obtain some drawings of St. Rollox works itself? Drawings of the actual building itself seems quite rare to obtain, especially for modeling purposes. I have the True line collection and I didnt see any drawings in there and there isnt many photographs of the building itself in detail. Would anyone might know where I can obtain some? Even some measurements on how tall building is at its low and high peaks would be very useful. Looking for photos of the building that looks like this down below which is 123 outside of St. Rollox. Thank you :)
Attachments
36457951821_b43c4f2bb7_o.jpg
St. Rollox
36457951821_b43c4f2bb7_o.jpg (105.14 KiB) Viewed 7303 times

dunalastairv

Re: St. Rollox Works drawings

Post by dunalastairv » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:33 am

Amazingly in this age of railway building destruction, that part of St. Rollox is still there so you could, with the necessary assistance, take measurements yourself, as well as record photographically, architectural detail. I'd hurry though, the future of the site is very uncertain and I'm sure, having demolished every other building in the area, Glasgow Council can't wait to knock this one down too.

Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:43 am

Unfortunately, I live in the USA so that isnt very possible and I cant exactly get approval from the wife to fly to Scotland, just to measure a building. Haha

Kris

jim mac

Post by jim mac » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Kris
There are very few photographs of St Rollox and I don't know of any company drawings of the buildings.
The attached photograph has been copied from a magazine and is not very good quality, but if you combine it with the 25 inch o/s map (available from the National Library of Scotland website) you should be able to establish the width of the front elevation and develop other dimensions from that.
St Rollox c1890 (reduced).jpg
St Rollox c1890 (reduced).jpg (109.5 KiB) Viewed 7279 times
Let me know how you get on and I will keep digging to see what else turns up.
jim mac

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:38 pm

There's a sketch plan of the buildings in David Ross' history (page 20) which shows the functions of the various buildings - is it the same as the plan in the CRA archive ref: 3/7/3/4? I've looked at that in the past but can't remember the details. Does the article in the March 1913 issue of the Railway Magazine show anything useful? There are 80 images on the Canmore website.

Best

Mike

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Fascinating photograph, Jim. It must be fairly early given the number of 'bogies' in view. The right hand one of the four in the foreground is interesting as it has no side doors and 7 vertical frame members. The only photo I've seen of one of these without side doors - the official photo of 23473 reproduced on p106 of the wagon book - has only 6. Also the dia. 22 type wagon in front of it must be a PO wagon as all that can be seen of the lettering is the top of two vertical stroke (could be 'J L') .I would love to see a larger version of this photo.

Jim W

dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:26 pm

This is a plan from "British Railways Workshops" by Edgar Larkin, which may help, along with other information
St Rollox.jpg
St Rollox.jpg (82.16 KiB) Viewed 7255 times

This is very considerably compressed, but I could let you have the full version privately.

Allan Ferguson

Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 am

Hi Kris,
Sorry for not picking this up earlier.
There are 2 accounts of St Rollox written in Caledonian days and I'm sure both are available as free books.
Give me a day and I can probably post the links, one is an illustrated article in the New York published "Locomotive Engineering", and the other is a paper report in the Minutes of Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers circa 1896/97 written by a Peter Livinstone Dunn. This is a written description of the site section by section, and although not extending to the expense of photo chrome images of the American article, it features a fold out set of plans and elevations of a selection of the buildings.
St Rollox 1896.jpg
St Rollox 1896.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
Because of size issues I've included just the plan here, but you can see hint of surrounding drawings.

Dave L

Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:47 am

Dave,
those drawings of the buildings themselves is just what I need. Might you be able to scan those and private message them to me please?

Kris

dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:21 am

Might I quietly suggest that this information on St Rollox is so important that an article might be published in TTL, for a wider readership in general but also for those many members of the Association who do not use the Internet?