CR Pug DCC Sound Decoder

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
David Elvy

CR Pug DCC Sound Decoder

Post by David Elvy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 pm

I have been searching the web looking for a suitable sound decoder for an 0 Gauge CR pug with out success, can anyone here recommend a possible supplier for a suitable sound decoder, thanks?

David

Jim Summers

Re: CR Pug DCC Sound Decoder

Post by Jim Summers » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:52 am

David,
There is not a Caley one on the market yet, but South West Digital are progressing one actively, with our encouragement and the kind donation of sounds from Victorian Lad. It was hoped by the manufacturer that these would be supplemented by recordings at the Caley weekend in Bo'ness, but I have not heard how that aspect went.
We are indebted to Carina McCall for pushing this project along on the CRA behalf and she was updating me just last week.

You'll find earlier postings about this elsewhere on the Forum .

JimS

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:16 pm

Jim

I’m aware of the proposal to produce a generic CR sound for decoders but the 264 would have sounded quite different to a 439 or 812 class. I don’t expect there to be a specific 264 class sound file with the locos having long since disappeared, my question accepts I need to be content with sounds like sound and wondered what others used for for l9cos such as pugs?

Thanks David

Alan K

Post by Alan K » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:58 pm

This passed me by at the time. Haven't anything to offer re a decoder, but maybe there is a sound source which might be available. It's true that all the CR pugs have gone, and their NB cousins the Y9s are on static display and therefore silent, but the common ancestry of all of them was Neilson, who did the original design. I've just idly done an on-line search (as one does these days!) and found that there is a preserved candidate which qualifies as a relation: Neilson built an 0-4-0T for Great Eastern Railways in 1876 which was numbered 229 and which is known as the 'Coffee Pot'. There is a High Level kit available for this engine. OK it isn't a saddle tank, but I'm pretty sure its innards have the same origin and would sound much the same! That's the good news: the bad news is that it's not steaming... But it might eventually: according to what I can find out, it's at the Flour Mill in Bream Lydney awaiting overhaul. So watch this space - the sound of a 264 Class pug might still be a possibility. Maybe I'll have got around to converting my 3 pugs to DCC by then (but don't hold your breath!)

Alan