New Layout Blog - Crawford

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
RossB

Re: New Layout Blog - Crawford

Post by RossB »

Thanks Jim. The SECR Birdcage coaches are the Bachmann RTR ones just straight out the box. I quite liked the look of them but I've been struggling to find an excuse to run them. I thought perhaps a travelling theatre company special. I've seen photographs of such trains on the Midland and LNWR which included CCTs and open carriage trucks along with the coaches. The LNWR train pictured at Colwyn Bay included CR stock so some of them must have travelled a fair distance. Not sure if the birdcage would be within the CR loading gauge though.

Ross
RossB

Post by RossB »

I've made a start of a bit of scenery around the curves at the bottom end of the layout. Quite surprising how much of a difference a few hills can make!

DSC_0884.JPG
DSC_0884.JPG (61.69 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSC_0844.JPG
DSC_0844.JPG (53.29 KiB) Viewed 424 times
DSC_0843.JPG
DSC_0843.JPG (61.64 KiB) Viewed 424 times

Still quite a bit to do but it gives an impression of how this part of the layout will eventually look.

I've put together another video from various clips taken over the last little while. I really need to get some engines painted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0cUWW1nEA
RossB

Post by RossB »

I've been working on building and upgrading rolling stock quite a bit recently, hence lack of progress with layout. First up I've been fitting new couplings and gangways to the express stock. I've settled on using Hunt magnetic couplers fitted to Symoba close coupling mechanisms and Keen Systems spring gangways. It's quite a bit of work but I think its worth it to see trains running reliably with no gaps between the gangways.

DSC_1168.JPG
DSC_1168.JPG (54.15 KiB) Viewed 423 times

I've also fitted destination boards to the 2pm stock. These were drawn up in the Silhouette cutter software and printed on to photo paper. These coaches could carry six destination boards which ment that when only three were carried (as here) they had to be off set to one side.

DSC_1152.JPG
DSC_1152.JPG (65.36 KiB) Viewed 423 times

I've managed to get these three long term projects almost finished off. The horse box was from an old Microrail kit and the two brake vans are from Caley Coaches. All still need a bit of weathering and a few final details.

DSC_1121.JPG
DSC_1121.JPG (68.08 KiB) Viewed 423 times

Finally for now are some Lancashire & Yorkshire vans for the express goods. These seem to have been pretty common at the head of goods trains but I've not been able to find out if this was a regular traffic or just coincidence.

DSC_1139.JPG
DSC_1139.JPG (60.74 KiB) Viewed 423 times

Ross
jasp

Post by jasp »

Thank you for the update and video - great stuff!
Jim P
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Indeed great and interesting progress, Ross.

JimS