Caledonian Railway mineral wagon - model

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
Mike 1

Caledonian Railway mineral wagon - model

Post by Mike 1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:26 pm

I am new to the CRA, so please bear with me if this has all been said before, but ....

I have a kit for an NBR 1887 Jubilee coal wagon and am wondering whether it is practical to modify it to represent a Caledonian mineral wagon. Since RTR and kits are available in the smaller scales for the NBR Jubilee, I wondered whether anyone else has tried this? There is a great deal of similarity except for the doors, but I can't see a Caledonian one with uneven planks (narrower top plank) like the NBR wagons. But then there were a great many of them and I've seen only a few photographs.

Mike

Mike 1

Re: Caledonian Railway mineral wagon - model

Post by Mike 1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 pm

The wagon preserved at SRPS in NBR livery has the uneven plank widths and I have seen it suggested that it started life as a CR wagon rather than an NBR, but I have no idea. Meanwhile, here is my kit assembled as a P.O wagon.
Attachments
NBR Jubilee almost finished.jpg
NBR Jubilee almost finished.jpg (106.86 KiB) Viewed 5625 times

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Hello Mike and welcome to the CRA and the Forum. That's a nice-looking model. As you will see below, your diagnosis of the distances is spot on. Comparing the drawing in NBR Wagons Some Design Aspects by Bill Sewell and Caledonian Railway Wagons by me (!) you have the following

Dimensionally, the NBR wagon is the same as the CR diagram 46. The differences (apart from buffers, the brake gear and the axleboxes, which are just component swaps) are:
1. The planking - CR had 4 9" planks
2. The doors and associated ironwork - CR had cupboard doors

Whether making the necessary alterations constitutes too much bother is an individual decision!

Best

Mike

Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks very much Mike. That is exactly what I suspected. Buffers, axleboxes and strapping details are not a problem. I could probably scrape off the door details and replace them, but I think the planks are a step too far, so will abandon it. On the positive side, that means I need to scratch build a Caledonian wagon at some point!

So presumably you are reasonably confident that the SRPS wagon is NBR, as it purports to be? Can't remember where I read that it might have been CR.

Mike
(By the way, I am also Mike Williams, no connection but potential confusion. I am learning about Caledonian but fare much better on questions relating to the LNWR)

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Mike,

You dont say what scale you are modelling?

David

Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 am

Indeed I didn't David! Gauge 3. 2 1/2in gauge.

Mike

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Hello Mike W!

The narrow plank is as depicted in the NBR book I cited and also in five photographs in Wagons of the LNER - North British.

Best

Mike W

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:26 am

Mike 1 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:12 am
Indeed I didn't David! Gauge 3. 2 1/2in gauge.

Mike
Envy, that’s all I can say, that’s a nice looking model.

David

Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:25 am

Thank you David.

Gauge 3 is not common today. Pre-War it was often seen and around WW1 the most common scale of all, but it almost disappeared in the 1950s and 1960s. Today there are several manufacturers, including me, making kits and parts. The "Jubilee" is a resin kit with one piece body, steel W irons, cast brass axleboxes and Slaters make the wheels. It has an opening end door.

At present there is no Caledonian available in the scale, but I hope that will change soon.

Mike