Ferryhill Aberdeen, Caley Depot buildings 1908

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
[email protected]

Ferryhill Aberdeen, Caley Depot buildings 1908

Post by [email protected] » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:11 am

I am going near demented down here in NZ, with a conundrum that I'm sure others have faced (and no doubt solved) before me. I am building a 4mm scale model of Ferryhill, as built by the Caley in 1908 and modified over the years by LMS/BR. I have copies of original plans which were very kindly provided by Jim MacIntosh a few years ago.Although the plans are incomplete, there is sufficient info there to be able to build a reasonable model, or so I thought!
All has been going well, with an excel sheet being populated with all the key dimensions. However, the roof is now causing me a massive headache, in particular the roof lights. My calculation of their dimensions comes out at 37mm horizontal by 28mm vertical (one horizontal window bar, 6 panes across by two panes high). However, when I draw the roof lights on to a mock up of the roof which I am currently building, they look completely the wrong shape. When I recheck by counting slates on the roof from photos, and scaling off drawings, my dimensions for the roof lights are proved correct time and time again, but they just look plain wrong!
I appreciate that as the roof lights are being seen at an angle, then their true vertical height is deceiving, but they still look wrong when I compare my mock up with photos.

I note from reading LMS Engine Sheds Vol 5, that Grangemouth and Polmadie look to have similar construction to Ferryhill, in regards to the brickwork, smoke chute roof vents, window size/shapes and roof lights. Are there any dimensions available in plans under the Society's ownership of these sheds which I could peruse, or can some kind person please suggest where I am going wrong!

Any answers much appreciated, before my headache grows even worse.....

jim mac

Re: Ferryhill Aberdeen, Caley Depot buildings 1908

Post by jim mac » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:51 am

Mike
I have some drawings of Fouldubs/Grangemouth shed, from an early and incomplete exercise to digitise the CRA drawings. They are Tiff files, not the best quality and too large for posting on the Forum.

If you confirm your email address by PM, I will forward copies by "weTransfer".

Hopefully they might help with the headache!

Jim Mac

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:04 am

Cheers Jim, this is very much appreciated. Best email is [email protected].
Many thanks, now I'm off to bed!

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Thu May 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Mike,
I took a number of photos of Grangemouth Fouldubs after closure, mainly the exterior of the buildings, so windows etc are clear. The roof vents had been altered over the years. The odd photo showing the original roof has been published in the usual books, but I may have one or two less well-known.

If these sound of interest, let me know.

Jim

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Fri May 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi Jim, yes, these would be of enormous use. I would have done the same at Ferryhill, but as you know fate had me in Hong Kong at the time!
I'm also keen to have a chat with you on the subject of research, and would appreciate a phone number I could call you on please.

Ian Smeeton

Post by Ian Smeeton » Sat May 04, 2019 10:10 pm

There are some photos on Britain from above taken 1948 which show Ferryhill in the background.

Being aerial photos, the roofs/rooves show up quite well.

I am not sure which building is the 1908 Caley shed, but here is the link: https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/SAW016823

There are a couple of others.

Regards

Ian

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sat May 04, 2019 11:08 pm

Hi Ian, many thanks for responding. A few weeks back I bought online half a dozen large file aerial views, and on consulting them yesterday, they did show significant difference in respect of the roof light shape, which tends to suggest my calculations are correct.
44794 outside 61B small.jpg
44794 outside 61B small.jpg (119.79 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
61B rooflights aerial.JPG
61B rooflights aerial.JPG (53.5 KiB) Viewed 3300 times