Lattice post signals in 4mm

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
NickTindall

Lattice post signals in 4mm

Post by NickTindall »

The time is getting awfully near when some lattice post signals need to put in an appearance on my Galloway P4 layout. All advice on what to buy / how to put it together / how to make it work / etc warmly welcomed.

PS Technically these should be GSW signals (hiss!) since the GSW provided the signalling on the PP&W (with the exception of Stranraer Harbour Jn SB), but the modelling issues are just the same.

Regards to all

Nick
RossB

Re: Lattice post signals in 4mm

Post by RossB »

As it happens this is something I'm currently in the process of doing myself.

Model Signal Engineering do a range of brass kits including both the Stevens & Co lower quadrant type and the ground signals. Caley Coaches produce a set of signaling components which combined with the MSE parts should be able to produce most types of signal used. I found the masts a little tricky to solder up, but that could just be down to relative lack of experience.

I'm planning on using the mechanism from one of the new Dapol signals to motorise it, not to sure how well it will work but may was well give it a go! Hopefully I should have something approaching a working signal in the next few days (will post how I get on).

Ross
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I have used MSE etches happily, with their whitemetal appurtenances, but you can get etches from Alan Gibson, which look nice. I have been playing with operation by servos, and we have converted all the "Burntisland 1883" signals to this method. It is pretty good, especially if your posts semaphores look like Christmas trees.

There is a lengthy chapter on all this taking shape in the "Signalling the Caledonian" book, if I could get on with it.

Jim
Attachments
DSC08616 compressed.JPG
DSC08616 compressed.JPG (17.74 KiB) Viewed 9375 times
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

Like Jim and Ross mine are from MSE and Caley coaches parts. I used servos to drive them, controlled from a module made by embedded controls of Perth, though they no longer seem to be making them. A nice unit, the speed of the signal arm is slow when pulling off and fast when returning. MERG do alternatives.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_john/ ... otostream/

A pic of the working bits.
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

I ,too, have several signals under construction utilising MSE parts almost throughout. Very nice parts to make Caley signals from.

This includes converting their ground signals to working models - although I gave up on attempting to have the off arm and lens move across when the drop flap and counterweight arm are activated - it is probably possible in 7mm, but life's too short to try and achieve this in 4mm. Instead I'm thinking that a 2 colour LED might effectively represent the correct lighting.

I've bartered with an NBR modeller in our group so that we both ended up with arms of our chosen company rather than lots of MSE frets going to waste. Can anyone say what advantage there may be in using Caley Coaches arms rather than the MSE items?

I have one stumbling block in trying to recreate the CR prototypes. They used pulleys rather than cranks for changes in direction on the likes of multi-doll signals. I'm at a loss as to how this might be achieved. Has anyone come up with a means of recreating this? Memory wire possibly?

Like some others, I'm opting for servos to control them. However, I'm not using the MSE housing fret as it results in a very large footprint through the baseboard. Rather I'm going for signals secured by a 8-10BA screw soldered to a small base permanently fitted to the layout and blended in scenically. The servo will be in a removable home-made housing beneath the layout.

Will post some images when they reach a sufficiently advanced stage.

Lindsay
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

I also have assembled Caley lattice post signals from MSE etches. From comparing with photos, I think the arms are not long enough and suspect I should replace them with ones from Caley Coaches.

I have successfully "motorised" them using memory wire (from C&L) supplied at 12V dc with a 22 ohm resistor in series. The movement to 'off' is fine, but the return to horizontal is a bit slow - limited by the cooling rate of the wire I think. I have also managed to get the MSE ground signal flaps to move reasonably well with the memory wire actuation, but have left the balance weights disconnected -I am very impressed that anyone might attempt to do more in 4mm scale - my eyes crossed with just setting up the flap!

The attached photo shows the somewhat Heath Robinson arrangement I have used - the drive goes up through the baseboard from the upper end of the crank.

Cheers
John Lindsay
Attachments
IMAG0045small.jpg
IMAG0045small.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 9345 times
RossB

Post by RossB »

With regards to adapting Dapol signals. It can be done but the mechanism doesn't realy lend itself to modification. The mechanism is very fragile and needs to be set up just so, took me ages to reassemble it properley to realign the automatic stop contacts for the motor. Another issue was trying to hide the lighting wires runnig through the open lattice post (would probably have been easier with thinner wire). I belive they are due to do a lattice post style (LNER I think) at some point which could make a better candidate for conversion.

I recently read somewhere that MSE ae due to start producing ready assembled signals using there own kits. Not to sure what styles are to be offered but could be something to look out for.

Ross
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Lindsay was asking about pulley wheels for signals.

Brassmasters do these, which I hope to investigate at Scaleforum this weekend (Hint to all who would like to see some good modelling, and the Assocation will be represented).

P0004 Brassmasters Signal wheels and bases (16 wheels)) £3.50 per pkt

Jim S
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

Looking on the Ratio products page I note that they do a LNER latticed post signal pack with parts to make up to four signals. Is it possible to Caledonianize (Is that even a real word?) these signals, are they in any way close say if fitted with Wizard arms etc could they pass muster. Regards Steve

PS here's a link

http://www.peco-uk.com/product.asp?strP ... P_ID=17865
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

I used the Ratio products in the 1990,s for my layout of Airdrie, probably along with many other Caledonian modellers at that time, and I am pleased with the result. I still use them to replace damaged Signals, being plastic they can be damaged when cleaning the track, and the plastic doe's become brittle with age a bit like ourselves.
They are an alternative which is economical compared with the metal posts which are available I believe.

David Blevins.