Does anyone recognise these models?

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
RossB

Does anyone recognise these models?

Post by RossB »

Hi everyone.
I've recently purchased a set of wagons off ebay, mainly kits from unknown makers plus a couple which could just be repainted ready to run, someone may even know the builder. Most will need quite a bit of work doing to them (repaints, new underframes etc) so any help identifying what kits they were made from or what they are would be very much appreciated.

The first group are ones which I think are of Caley prototypes.
100_2688.JPG
100_2688.JPG (243.75 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
The two open wagons (diagram 22?) and the twin set (diagram 109?) are metal bodies (maker unknown) on on RTR plastic chassis while the tube wagon looks like a standard 51L kit.

The next three are wagons which I'm not too sure if they are Caley prototypes. The runner wagon is a metal kit while the other two look like they could just be repainted ready to run. How accurate is the livery on the bolster wagon?
100_2689.JPG
100_2689.JPG (227.3 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
The final wagon is one which I'm sure isn't a Caley prototype. Its a plastic kit with K25 40t mineral wagon written on the under side, anyone know what it is?
100_2697.JPG
100_2697.JPG (219.87 KiB) Viewed 6703 times
Any info would be much welcomed.

Ross
Jim Summers

Re: Does anyone recognise these models?

Post by Jim Summers »

Funny that, Ross, I was given an identical pair of bolster wagons a few years ago, and meant to find out more about the provenance, but didn't ever do so. However, the mineral wagon looks like a Model Wagon Company whitemetal one to me.

Jim
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

I agree about the 8T mineral. tho' MWC kits came with their own underpinnings, and it would seem a bit harsh to abandon them completely for what seems like a Peco u/f.

The bogie mineral wagon makes me think of K's kits; am I right in recalling that they had a Kxx series of numbers?

The brake van doesn't look like anything Caledonian to me, and I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the others, tho' the twin set does look like the standard 51L product.

I saw these on ebay but didn't feel I wanted to land myself with more projects -- I've far too many already. Good luck with them.

Allan F
RossB

Post by RossB »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Starting with the mineral wagons, I've never come across the Model Wagon Company before and a quick internet search didn't turn up much. Are they still around? Have to agree it does seem a bit odd to cut up a RTR underframe to fit a kit that already came with one, especially when the replacement doesn't look all that great.

I've had another look at the bogie mineral wagon. There is a logo underneath it, a sort of 'S' between two triangles - could represent K's but its not a logo I've seen before. Any idea what the protype is? Looks like it could be pre-grouping, could one possibly have made it onto the Caley?

Looking a bit closer at the break van I think it could simply be relivered RTR. I can just about make out the number M73031, possibly a BR number? The chassis looks quite modern, it has Bachmann China written on it, but the body looks quite a lot older, could be Tri-ang.

Should make a nice little project, the tube wagon has just been repainted and I've sorted out the runner wagon (six bolts to hold on the couplings, two straight through the deck, seemed a little OTT). Was thinking about converting one of the mineral wagons to dumb buffers, both will probably need new underframes anyway.

Thanks

Ross
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Re MWC, I'm sorry, I should have been clearer.
Model Wagon Company produced an excellent (by the standards of the time) range of whitemetal castings for Scottish prototypes in 4mm scale, but ceased to operate a long time ago. Some of their range, but not including the CR mineral, are now produced by 51L, part of the Model Signal Engineering empire. Older and unavailable MWC kits fetch quite a lot on ebay........

Allan F
MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS »

Working backwards, the bogie wagon is a K's kit for a GWR 40-ton loco coal wagon - so paint it grey and flog it at a profit! The brake van and the single bolster I'm pretty certain are Triang. The wagons in the first picture are MWC Diagram 46 mineral wagons nearest camera and 51L behind. The twin wagons are Diagram 109, and the wheelbase is wrong in the kit - it shoud be 9ft 6in, not 9ft. Further away is a tube wagon to Diagram 114.

Best

Mike
RossB

Post by RossB »

Thanks for the reply Mike.
Looks like the brake van body will be heading to the scrap box (underframe could still be useful one day) while the bogie wagon could be going back on ebay!
Ross
Dave John

Post by Dave John »

I had a dig about, these are parts from the mwc kit, though the buffers and axleboxes might be from another source.
Attachments
mwc1.jpg
mwc1.jpg (50.87 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
RossB

Post by RossB »

Though I might provide a quick update on this little project.

The two coal wagons were completely striped and rebuilt with new underframes,repainted and coal loads added. Sounds simple but was a lot more work than I was expecting! The tube wagon was a bit easier, just a repaint. The load was salvaged from an old wind chime but could make the wagon a bit heavy so will have to play about with it a bit. The barrier/runner wagon had the holes in the deck filled a the missing brake leaver fitted. As the single bolster didn't really look like it could pass as a Caledonian wagon, I decided to remove the bolster and make a fairly freelance private owner wagon with a wooden crate load made from drinks stirrers (mostly from ScotRail's onboard service). The rest are still in various states of untouched/stripped/partially rebuilt.

Ross
Attachments
100_2773.JPG
100_2773.JPG (206.66 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
100_2770.JPG
100_2770.JPG (221.98 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
100_2771.JPG
100_2771.JPG (195.09 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Wind chimes and coffee stirrers. It is a wonderful hobby.
Actually those wooden stirrers have a hundred uses in modelling, as do clothes pegs, hair grips and nail varnish.

Jim