498 Class Wheel Details

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
Victorian_Lad

Re: 498 Class Wheel Details

Post by Victorian_Lad » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 am

Im curious to know how these locomotives became known as "Beetlecrushers"? Where did the nickname come from and why was it given to them?

Kris

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:09 pm

I haven't come across any References to the name "Beetlecrusher" in any CR Publications or Magazines. The only thing I recall about "Beetlecrushers" was a type of shoe worn by Teddy-Boys in the 1950's - a thick foam sole, on the ugly side. They were a very tough bunch of youths, always looking for a Fight, rebelling against society in general, with jackets almost down to the knees, bryl-cream hair and side burns - the rock and roll era.
Could it be that the name "Beetlecrusher" was not applied to the 1950's as a disparaging remark to a very slow and unattractive squat Engine.
Anyone else got any thoughts.
David Blevins.

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 pm

Further to a query of "engraving" round the chimney - my query back in January 05th., - we have an answer!
The CRA Meeting on Saturday was superbly presented by a Very knowledgable and Interesting Albert Greig on his talk on Dawsholm.
He informed us that the "Beetlecrusher" was fitted with a "mesh" over the chimney and held in place by the Chimney Cap - a type of Spark Arrestor.
He knew the Loco's as "Beetlecrushers" when he worked at Dawsholm as a Fireman but did not know when the name was first used - so still a Mystery.
David Blevins.
Attachments
Beetlecrusher - Dawsholm.jpg
Beetlecrusher - Dawsholm.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 2833 times