4-wheel Drummond Passenger Brake Van 1883 Dia 4 - Decent Models instructions

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
simongcr

4-wheel Drummond Passenger Brake Van 1883 Dia 4 - Decent Models instructions

Post by simongcr »

Dear all,

Does anyone have a .pdf or similar of the Decent Models 4-wheel PBV instructions, please? More for sentimental purposes as the kit design is reasonably intuitive and Association publications make assembly/finishing straight-forward. I bought the kit from John Boyle many years ago but only now getting round to a build. They are not included on the Alba Railway Models site as far as I can see and whilst there are a few references here in the Forum there is no rendition or link I can find.

Many thanks,

Simon
lindsay_g

Re: 4-wheel Drummond Passenger Brake Van 1883 Dia 4 - Decent Models instructions

Post by lindsay_g »

I've got the instructions here. Can post on line for Simon and anyone else. They run to six A4 pages so give me time to scan and add them as I'm actually doing catch up here.

Be warned, assembly isn't straightforward. There's something not quite right with the ducket area but it can be successfully overcome. Can't remember what it was off hand but I have images of the build sequence that solved the problem - there might be a post from me covering this. Obviously my memory isn't what it used to be!

Lindsay
simongcr

Re: 4-wheel Drummond Passenger Brake Van 1883 Dia 4 - Decent Models instructions

Post by simongcr »

Thank you Lindsay - that would be great.

Any construction advice also welcome. I can't find any PBV build references in the Forum although there is a posting 13/8/2012 on Drummond passenger carriages and multi-layer paneling that includes a brake third which might have the same issues. But probably not what you are thinking of.

Regards,

Simon
Graham Tipple

Post by Graham Tipple »

I've just enjoyed building four, including two brakes, for lockdown number 2. I experienced some difficulties but they were manageable. The curved lower panels to be fitted to the lower part of the coach side, also curved, was a bit of a problem. The curves should be made with a roller but the one I borrowed was too large to try such a small curves I did them by hand. In the same way, the curved end's fitting to the curved side, both with overlay panels, has not resulted in a very neat edge. My fault, I'm sure. I used superglue for attaching the panels.

I also found the positioning of the droplights into the rear of the sides a bit of a chore. Getting them aligned tended to be a trial and error job with more error than trial!

I built, painted and glazed the sides before assembling with the ends but had to touch up the white paint at the end side-panels after soldering them to the ends as the heat changed the paint hue. I painted the whole side brown and then floated in the white (several very thin coats) and a wood shade for the droplights and ventilators. I don't line coaches now as I haven't a steady hand anymore.

Have fun, Graham
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

P28.jpg
P28.jpg (75.76 KiB) Viewed 358 times
This is the beast. I have another, unpainted, and, I think, a couple of other kits. When John sold out to Hamilton Hobbyhorse, these seemed to be the only things we could buy from them -- which is how I acquired too many. I don't recall any particular difficulties with the lookout (this was built over 30 years ago). I cannot recommend any sort of glue for the outer panels -- there's always one comes unstuck! (And always after painting). Drill a hole in the behind panel and solder from the back. Sellotape the outer layer on while you solder from the other side. It is important for the outer layer to be properly in line, and the Sellotape will hold long enough for that. This has a rocking axle, but today I would use Bedford sprung suspension units, which give a much better ride, if sufficiently weighted

Allan F
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Attached finally are the instructions for the Passenger Brake. I lied previously, they run to 8 pages!

Lindsay

4 Wheel Passenger Brake Instructions.pdf
(746.85 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

I'm afraid I cannot remember what the problem was with the etched kit but it wasn't isolated to the passenger brake and affected the 4 wheel brake third as well. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the rear of the ducket where it joins with the coach body. If it helps, attached below is the build sequence I employed on the brake thirds which had them go together pretty easily once the correction was made. The spare coach end is soldered temporarily in place at the top of the body to ensure the body width is correct when everything is soldered in place.

IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1243.JPG (41.93 KiB) Viewed 321 times
As regards the sequence of build, I found it easier to firstly form the tumblehomes in both the sides and the ends to ensure they were going together nicely. I've never used rolling bars for the tumblehome on coaches just an appropriate diameter round tube or rod rolled against the parts when they rested partly on a steel rule or like item. When that's done I then added the droplights when the sides were still on the flat (or nearly flat) with the droplight lying beneath the side being held firmly in place by it. I think I actually added the lower panel overlays on some builds before fitting all 4 sides together. I used a resistance soldering iron for adding the overlays but Allan's suggestion of drilling holes for conventional soldering is a valid one. The overlays all need to be curved to shape before adding them and on some coaches they ALL have to be filed down in size to fit properly. Soldering the ends to the sides is a bit of a pain but given care a lovely join can be made with the solder making good the join between the parts.

Here's a couple of coaches finished but the odd fettling needed before painting. OK, neither is a passenger brake but the principles are all the same. The roofs are brass curved with rolling bars. I didn't fancy the suggested cardboard roof idea one bit.

coach panels.jpg
coach panels.jpg (47.63 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Best of luck with the build,

Lindsay
simongcr

Post by simongcr »

Many thanks for all the contributions, especially the instructions Lindsay - much appreciated.

I will be taking all the construction hints into account and, along those lines, some additional queries arise. Not sure they are best suited to this section of the Forum but, in no particular order:

1. interior colour - stone, buff or white (sides and roof)?

2. wheels - 12 spoked or Mansell; 3'9" or 3'6" (Carriage book page 45 and 147)?

3. axle boxes - the GAs in the carriage book for all of the Drummond 4 wheel diagrams (pg 144 and 147) seem to feature a unique axlebox design (split horizontally). The photo of the 1st in the livery book shows 'conventional' CR axle boxes and is the only image I have seen. Anything more known about the variation?

4. buffers - Decent Models provided three bolt (wagon) buffers which need replacing with 4 bolt carriage?

5. the GA also shows an unusual flat oil lamp design - assuming that is what it is (there is no gas cylinder)?

The first PBVs were built by contractors it seems, later by St Rollox, so that may explain some of these points?

Regards

Simon