To line or not to line

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
Orbiston

To line or not to line

Post by Orbiston »

I have been grappling with this for some years now and I confess that I do not have the mathematics to fully explain it. But what I am asking is whether it is better to line coaches or not. I don't see specifications for the yellow lining in Mike Williams book but in Casserley's WCJS he states that the lining was 1/8 inches thick. In 00 that translates to .04mm. Is that right so far? Can anyone draw a line .04 mm wide? Then if you allow for the scale distance you are looking at models how does that affect the scale width? I confess I am totally lost here. I do know I have spent hours staring at coaches in museums at York and Swindon stepping back and looking at coach lining (sad I know) and the further you step back the less obvious the lining becomes. If you then take into account the colour yellow between a brown and an off-white (and here I definitely dont know what I'm talking about) the sort of hues are similar? ie its not something that will stand out like red. So when modelling we're only creating an illusion. I have tried transfers with the yellow lining included and to be honest you don't notice it. Is the illusion helped or hindered by trying to paint lining when almost inevitably it turns out badly?
jimwatt2mm

Re: To line or not to line

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I can't comment for 4mm scale or above, but when I built the first of the 45'ft kits which John Boyle got reduced to 2mm scale for me (8-compt 3rd) I created the lining by gently scraping the purple brown back to the brass (at John's suggestion IIRC). That showed up quite nicely on the lower panel, but on the waist and upper panels I had to all but completely remove the p/b before the 'yellow' showed. Since then I've only done it on the lower panels and on the upper panels of an all brown 4-wheel 3rd. See the photos in my article in on the back cover of TTL 150 and this photo of the 45ft 1st.
completed.JPG
completed.JPG (59.25 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Jim W
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

That's a remarkable job in 2mm Jim but to be honest looking at the picture which I think is a bout the same distance-wise as looking at a model on a layout I cannot see the yellow/brass lining.
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

An old friend of mine, the late Jim Richards thought that for WCJS (and LNWR) the 1/8in white line looked overscale even in 7mm, bearing in mind that the lining should be on the curved edge of the beading, which means seen from an angle some of it wouldn't be seen at all. To compensate for the loss if the white he brightened the shade of yellow slightly.

For me, I just know I can't do lining at all! I've so far had my Gauge 3 carriages professionally lined and I don't have the white line on them, for the same reason. One I bought secondhand was lined by Brian Badger and has the white lines, but I think they look much better without.

Mike
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

I think this is a good case to use selective lining doing it where it can be seen or will make a visual difference but leaving off where it could end up looking over scale and awkward in other words a balanced approach.