River 4-6-0 938 class

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
dalziel

River 4-6-0 938 class

Post by dalziel »

I am currently building a 7mm scale model of a 938 class. I am looking for photos, drawings or information on the cab fittings. I have a photo of an SSL built loco and Beeson built 2 superb examples of these in 7mm scale the cab interior of which is shown in the Beeson book by Ganderton. These locos had steam reversers, SSL have a wheel in the cab and Beeson has a lever and quadrant. I cannot find a GA for this loco in the NRM drawing collection and drawings from the modelling press don't run to cab interior views. There is a drawing in P Tatlows book on Highland Railway locos, unfortunately in my copy of the book it is so faint as to be virtually unreadable. Can anyone offer help please?

David Gallacher
Alan K

Re: River 4-6-0 938 class

Post by Alan K »

Hi David
Cornwell's new book refers to a Cowlairs GA existing for the River class, as the Highland didn't have a drawing office at the time. There is a drawing in the book by David Newlands which was created using this GA and is reproduced courtesy of Allan Mearns. There may well be a cab drawing by him as well, which may be worth pursuing. But the Cowlairs GA may be available from our NB friends...

Alan
dalziel

Post by dalziel »

Hello Alan,
Thanks for your message, I have the second volume of the loco books and have seen the drawing by David Newlands and have a copy of this drawing to 3/4" to the foot scale acquired from that well known auction site. This will be very useful since I can scale directly from it but regrettably does not provide the information I am looking for. There is an extended article on the Rivers in LMS Journal no 7 by Philip Atkins which has weight diagrams but again not what I need. I realise that the cab detail will not be that obvious when the quite large tender is coupled to it but it would be nice to get it as near accurate as possible. I presume that the NB drawings at the NRM will be with the LNER drawings, previously there were independant lists for the big four but now there is an amalgamated list running to 600 odd pages, the card nos match the original OPC list nos but I only have the OPC LMS lists so finding anything else could be quite time consuming.

Regards,
David Gallacher.
JimG

Post by JimG »

There is an entry - Card No. 12962 - in the XLS file of the OPC Microfilm list entitled "G.A. of 4-6-0 engine 6' dia. wheels Class 938 C.R." Could this be it? It is in the LMS section of the list.

I've tried to attach a copy of the XLS file, which used to be supplied by the NRM some years ago, but it's too large at 4.4Mb. But it is a lot easier to search than the PDF files.

[Later] I've just checked out the PDF list on the NRM site and the entry is there on the LMS list at the bottom of Page 1009

Jim.
dalziel

Post by dalziel »

Hello Jim,
Thank you for your efforts, Yes, absolutely correct, tender as well and there on my copy of OPC LMS list 8. Don't know I missed that other than a combination of the small text size and my 4 score + eyesight! Now to sort out an order for the drawings, hopefully there will be a cab view.

Regards,
David G.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Hi everyone

Jim G sent me the Excel list which is now available on the LMS Society web-site for the benefit of all. It can be found at http://www.lmssociety.org.uk/downloads.php

If anyone needs another format please shout.

You might like to have a dig around the site while you are there, among the many gems added recently is a booklet describing a Directors' tour of inspection of the Northern Division workshops etc in 1945: http://www.lmssociety.org.uk/directorsV ... sVisit.php

I plead guilty to being web-master for the LMS Society BTW.

Jim Smellie
JimG

Post by JimG »

Following on from the posting of the OPC spreadsheet to the LMS Society web site, I thought I might post a Caledonian version here. I went through the full list some years ago and extracted all the Caledonian entries to a separate spreadsheet. I sent this to the late Jim Mac and he added a lot of St.Rollox information to the entries.
St Rollox Drawings (combined listing).xls
(215 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
There's a small health warning with this spreadsheet. Jim Mac and I did a lot of messing around to compile it and the work wasn't fully audited. So when I have used it, I cross refer back to the main OPC list to double check that the Card Number and details are correct. I have to admit that I haven't found an error yet on the several occasions I have used it to order.

Jim G.
Alisdair

Post by Alisdair »

I look after the drawing collection of the Highland Railway Society. We own a copy of a GA of the engine only at 3/4" to the foot. It has little in the way of backhead detail. We also own a paper copy of the Tatlow drawing (very legible!). Both of these can be provided digitally or on paper (although you would have to wait a while for the latter due to my current circumstances). Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.
Alisdair