492 class and other builds in 00

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
jasp

Re: 492 class and other builds in 00

Post by jasp » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:09 am

I, too, am impressed with what you are doing.
Re your comment about responses, unlike other fora, RM web for example, the number signed up to the CR Forum is relatively small ie around 140 so do not be surprised at slowish responses
Jim P

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Very nice work, with an inventive use of what's available on the RTR front. They certainly capture the character of the prototype, which is what it's all about IMHO.

Jim W

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Steve,
I am so glad you published those. Not only are they good to look at, but they must encourage other people.
You have certainly had a productive summer - I have still not finished an ancient NBR Hawthorn 0-4-0 tender effort. A lovely little antique, with small outside cylinders and a number of other challenges. Small engines ain't necessarily easier.

Thanks again,

Jim S

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Jim Summers wrote:Steve,
....... Small engines ain't necessarily easier........
Jim S
Especially in the smaller scales! ;)

Jim W

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Hand rails and knobs arrived today and I grabbed the first loco that came to hand (I have four awaiting hand rails) and it was the 782 tank and here's a picture with the rails fitted.
782 tank now with hand rails.jpg
782 tank now with hand rails.jpg (44.73 KiB) Viewed 14891 times
About ready for the top coat which looking out side wont be any time soon, I might even wait until the spring now and spend the rest of the winter getting them all ready for spraying next year.

I hope she captures the feel of the 782 she's dimensionally correct to the drawings so it shouldn't be far out and as the Bachmann pannier that the chassis came from was given to me by my son and I've since sold the Bachmann body which has off set the parts like the hand rail knobs brought means I'm actually in credit with this one so I've ended up with a very usable 782 tank in 00 for basically nothing, I wish they were all like that. Steve

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Been a bit low with a cold that's turned into a bit of a chest infection so not had a chance to do much modeling but have managed to fit the hand rail wire and knobs to the jumbo so that there about ready to paint thought both the jumbo and the 782 tank need a bit more filler on the smokebox wings to tidy them up but that's about it, the other detail like the lubricators and smokebox door handles and in the case of the jumbo the air pump wont be fixed in place until they've been painted
Jumbo now with hand rails.jpg
Jumbo now with hand rails.jpg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 14845 times
Really looking the part now (I hope, what do you all think?) thanks for looking Steve

Edit - Fellow forum member Jim Summers has just pointed out that the 782 chimney has some molding lines that need cleaning off, thanks Jim you saved me from a costly mistake if I had of top coated it and then found it as it is I'll get it sorted before I go any further. Its funny you can sometimes be so close to the subject but can miss something like this, some times a fresh pair of eyes can really save your bacon. Thanks again Jim

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:44 pm

A scrape with a scalpel and a final rub with some wet and dry soon fixed the 782 chimney. When I did look it was just as bad on the back as it was on the front but the jumbo's chimney even though it came from the same source had not a mark on it. Anyway its all fixed now though I still need to add a little filler to the wing plates. Steve

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:25 am

As you've seen I've been working my way through the backlog of locos waiting for hand rails and the latest one is my attempt at a Dunalastair I This is not a true scale model as its been built from a narrow cab T9 one of the Great British locomotive collection ones and mounted on a converted Hornby B12 chassis chopped from a 4-6-0 down to a 4-4-0
So although fairly close its more in the spirit of the original a sort of if it looks right model. The idea being its a sort of in the land of the blind situation. Any way here's a picture.
I will just say the chimney and front lamp bracket are straight but my camera phone has a habit of distorting the edge of photos as it has done in this case.
Dunalastair I now with hand rails.jpg
Dunalastair I now with hand rails.jpg (20.25 KiB) Viewed 14808 times
Here also is a picture of a Dunalastair taken from the same side to compare it with
Image of Dunalastair I.jpg
Image of Dunalastair I.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 14808 times

The tender is the GBL T9 8 wheel water cart tender tank cut down to the correct length fitted to a set of white metal chassis frames which started out as LMS tender frames on which I filled in the elliptical cut outs with solder and re drilled the double oval holes of the Caledonian type chassis. This has also been built with a split axle system so each side frame can be wired to pick up power to aid the main driving wheels. The axles them selves running on pinpoint bearings.
As I said although not a scale copy the GBL body has been cut down to the correct length and made to look as Dunalastair as possible. The B12 chassis has the same size wheels as a Dunalastair and re positioning the second axle means that this also matches the Dunalastair.

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Has to be said, Steve, you've a gift here that many dream of having themselves. Keep these wee works of art coming; they fully deserve a home here!

Dave.

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Fully agree with Dave. You have an eye for capturing the character of the prototype. if it looks right, it can't be far wrong. :)

Keep at it!

Jim

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Thought I would stick this on so you could have a look, its very much a work in progress but here's my 903 class build.
Its a scratch built body on a Hornby B12 chassis with the only change is a slight forward move of the bogie to match the dimensions of the 903. The body is mostly plasticard with the valance under the running plate and the steps in brass, the boiler is a length of 20mm electrical conduit with a wrap of plasticard to bring it up to the correct diameter of about 21.5mm of the 903 boiler the smoke box again being wrapped with more plasticard to bring the width up.

The double splashers are grafted from some left over body's from the Great British loco collection T9 which as some of you know have been providing parts like cabs, boilers, smokeboxes and tenders for some of the other builds so its the ultimate in recycling. I've just fitted the wash out plugs which I've made from top hat pin point wheel bearings drilled out with a bit of plastic rod in the center for the plug its self. Any way as I say its early days but here's the pictures.
Cardean sat on the plans.jpg
Cardean sat on the plans.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 14776 times
Cardean on the plans from the rear.jpg
Cardean on the plans from the rear.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 14776 times
The wide boxes/splashers in the cab are an unfortunate throw back to 00 gauge modeling where the wheels are further in than they would be if being built in EM or P4 where the wheel back to backs would be more in scale to the body - Oh well compromises compromises. The fall plate is a piece of etched checker plate from MT finescale and is soldered to a working hinge made from brass tube but seems to have stuck half way, at this stage I don't want to oil anything until its been painted
I did get a an old kit white metal tender off ebay but it needs so much work that I'll most likely have to start again and scratch build saving maybe just the bogies. Steve

PS despite the titles on the pictures it will actually be No. 906 (So at least I wont have to try painting Cardean on the splasher lol)

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Did a few more out standing jobs on the 492 tank today, first job being to paint the crew and once fixed in place the cab roof was glued on. The bunker was "coaled up" with some real crushed coal using PVA glue to fix it in place. Some three link couplings were fitted and the coupling rods were painted the correct red rather than the black that I had originally done them.

The final job today was to fit the C and R and the crest to the tank sides and the loco number to the rear of the bunker. Two jobs still out standing are the cast number plates which are on order from 247 developments and the lining which I keep putting off must get round to.
392 with transfers from the front.jpg
392 with transfers from the front.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 14648 times
So its getting there bit by bit but the end is most defiantly in sight

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:46 pm

As with all your other locos, Steve, it's definitely looking the part! :D

Jim W

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:46 pm

Catching the early evening sun as she pauses between shunting duties on a wind swept colliery line some where in Scotland No 494 looks well up to any task put before her. Big and heavy and with her 0-8-0 wheel arrangement with a willing crew she could perform herculean efforts the likes of which our generation will never see again.
492 sea wall 1.jpg
492 sea wall 1.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 14623 times
492 sea wall 5.jpg
492 sea wall 5.jpg (58.91 KiB) Viewed 14623 times
492 sea wall 6.jpg
492 sea wall 6.jpg (55.93 KiB) Viewed 14623 times
Thanks for following this build. Steve

jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Only one criticism, Steve. Shouldn't the handrails be bright metal?

Jim W

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:37 am

yep Jim you got me, it also still needs lining and a Number plate for the bunker sides (On order from 247 developments)

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:04 am

Apart from the find modelling, that evening shot on an isolated colliery line somewhere is really evocative, Steve. Congratulations!

Jim S

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks Jim due to the fact I couldn't get a decent shot at home due to poor light and no back drop I nipped out and took these on the sea wall on Great Yarmouth's south beach overlooking the grass covered dunes. Living in Yarmouth the sea is only about 200 yards from my house and thankfully as you say provided a neutral and evocative back drop. If I do any more I'll have to ballast up a little bit of track to stand them on next time. Steve

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Could be out on the moors near Coalburn.
looking excellent in any case.

Dave.

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:40 pm

Evocative pictures, that does capture the solid lines of the original. Nice use of a natural background too.

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Had a pleasant afternoon at Tony Brenchly's house and as always Tony is the most congenial of hosts.
Most of the time was spent going over GA drawings and photos of wagons and NPCS vehicles in a way only a dedicated Caledonian fan could do but we did have a little time to play.

I took along a couple of projects for Tony's appraisal one being the 782 tank and the other the jumbo, as the jumbo was scratch built I was keen to see how it looked along side one of Tony's kit built jumbos.

As you can only upload three photos at a time I'll pop some more on the next post but here's some to be getting on with

My and Tony's jumbos together in the fiddle yard at Blairgowrie Tony's layout, side by side its surprising how close they are dimensionally its spot on.
Mine and Tonys jumbos.jpg
Mine and Tonys jumbos.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 14501 times
The jumbo sat on Blairgowrie's turn table, it just fits.
Jumbo on the table.jpg
Jumbo on the table.jpg (53.58 KiB) Viewed 14501 times
As I said the jumbo was dimensionally very close with no real differences, if I had to be really picky the center splasher on mine was a fraction further back than Tony's but that could be just down to the fact that I built mine to fit a RTR Hornby chassis so slight allowances had to be made but its only one of those things that you notice when you see them side by side. Also the body on Tony's was made out of brass so some of the parts like the cab roof and tender sides looked thinner than mine that was made out of plasticard, but overall it holds its own nicely.

The 782 tank shunting cattle wagons on Blairgowrie.
782 shunting cattle trucks.jpg
782 shunting cattle trucks.jpg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 14501 times
Its no good Tony what sort of Caledonian layout doesn't have a 782 class so you'll have to get one.
Last edited by Steve Parsons on Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Just a few more photos from my visit ti Tony Brenchley's house to follow on from the last post.

The 782 shunting empty stock at Blairgowrie station.
Shunting empty stock.jpg
Shunting empty stock.jpg (67.51 KiB) Viewed 14500 times
The two jumbos again on the traverser in Tony's fiddle yard on Blairgowrie with some more of Tony's locos a 439 tank and (Correct me if I'm wrong) a Conner 0-4-2
Tonys fiddle yard.jpg
Tonys fiddle yard.jpg (70.06 KiB) Viewed 14478 times
Only those that know Tony can appreciate just how much Tony knows about the Caledonian his wealth of knowledge has been a constant help and inspiration to me this last few years. He has also amassed the biggest collection of parts for modeling that I've ever seen and has been very generous in helping me out with some detail parts which are no longer available any more.

Tony "There's one in here somewhere" Brenchley
Tony. Its in here somewhere.jpg
Tony. Its in here somewhere.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 14500 times
Steve

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Thanks for posting these, Steve.
Isn't an afternoon like the pair of you enjoyed just what the hobby is all about?

Jim S

Coronach

Post by Coronach » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Aye, there's nothing quite like spending the afternoon doing this sort of thing with a like minded friend or two! :)

Dave.

Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:31 am

Thank you Dave we do try and get together about once a month if we can and I had the privilege of sharing the afternoon with Tony again yesterday. I took my laptop along and we spent some time going over drawings of possible future carriage builds that I've been working on in Inkscape the CAD drawing program that can be cut out on the silhouette portrait cutter, one of the designs we discussed in detail being the proposed steam rail motor as well as other projects like the P3 diners used on the Grampian trains. Going back to the proposed rail motor Tony was able to furnish me with a white metal 8ft fox bogie from his spares to run at the other end of the rail motor so that's another piece to the puzzle and unless any one has any more thoughts on the motors ends I might finalize it ready for cutting soon.

As always we have a good look through some of the extensive paperwork Tony has and discuss various aspects of the Caledonian this time looking at mineral wagons Tony showing me a brace of dumb buffer wagons he had just scratch built with a level of detail that would take your breath away (Why I didn't get a picture I don't know)

We looked at some pictures and talked about my latest project a 104 class 0-4-4 tank which is only in the early stages yet but I'll post some pictures on here if any one wants to see it.

After this we had a running session on Blairgowrie with Tony's beautiful Brittan's 670 class 0-4-2 and his 439 class as well
In this first shot the 439 which was acting as station pilot has cleared the line for the Brittan's 670 class to depart, making light work of just a couple of bogie coaches she runs smoothly and effortlessly over the points of the station approach past the 439
A busy day at Blairgowrie.jpg
A busy day at Blairgowrie.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 14146 times
Tony seen here making some small adjustment to the carriages wuth the 670 class just before the enter the fiddle yard.
Tony re rails a carriage.jpg
Tony re rails a carriage.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 14146 times
(Bigger flanges Tony that's the answer you know I'm right - Don't worry Tony will get the joke)
Finally the man himself looking pleased after a successful running session.
Tony Brenchley.jpg
Tony Brenchley.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 14146 times
Thanks again Tony for another marvelous afternoon.