Conner Cabs

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
JimG

Conner Cabs

Post by JimG »

BillAuld wrote:My layout Eaglesham is in this month's edition of Hornby Magazine, check it out in your local newsagent .
Constructive comments for improvement welcomed.
Bill,

I've just seen the pictures of your layout on your web site. Just a quick question - how did you do the curved front/top of the cabs on the Conner 0-6-0 and the Class 670? I'm just about to start a scratchbuild of a Class 670 in S scale and am looking for any hints. ;)

Jim Guthrie
lindsay_g

Conner Cabs

Post by lindsay_g »

I believe the Caley Coaches etch (yet to see production) achieves this by a number of slits at the front of the cab roof which allows the curve to be formed in both direction. The slots can then be filled with solder (car body filler or whatever) and then smoothed with wet 'n dry.

Lindsay
BillAuld

Conner Cabs

Post by BillAuld »

Curve on cab front and roof. Made it all square with right angles and soldered a large piece of brass inside where the curve is formed. Then filed it so that it looked right. Not very pretty inside but can be covered with a coat of paint. Hope this helps.
JimG

Conner Cabs

Post by JimG »

Bill,
BillAuld wrote:Curve on cab front and roof. Made it all square with right angles and soldered a large piece of brass inside where the curve is formed. Then filed it so that it looked right. Not very pretty inside but can be covered with a coat of paint. Hope this helps.
Your method was the method I was thinking of using but I wasn't sure how obvious the method would be on the inside with the open nature of the cab. I think a bit of experimentation on the methods suggested might be called for to see what I think I can get away with. As a matter of interest, how were the prototype cabs constructed? Were the curved parts formed then riveted to the spectacle plates and roofs with lap joints and flush rivets, or was there a whole spectacle plate/roof sheet which was forged to get the shape?

Jim.
Jim Summers

Conner Cabs

Post by Jim Summers »

I have done a few of those cabs and use the method with the "fingers" of nickel silver bent over from the front spectacle plate, amply filled with solder and filed. If any holes or unevenesses result then I sort that with Milliput. Takes a wee while, but it is controllable.

I don't find the same method so handy with the corners of tender flares, though, and there I have come to using conical shapes of fine phosphor bronze sheet, solder it in generously and then filling and filing as necessary.

I think I will also publish these remarks as a new heading and see if they generate further discussion there.

Jim S
Jim Summers

Locomotive cab fronts by Connor

Post by Jim Summers »

This started off as a topic under Bill Auld's fine "Eaglesham", but I think it is interesting enough in its own right.

I have done a few of those cabs and use the method with the "fingers" of nickel silver bent over from the front spectacle plate, amply filled with solder and filed.
If any holes or unevenesses result then I sort that with Milliput. Takes a wee while, but it is controllable.

I don't find the same method so handy with the corners of tender flares, though, and there I have come to using conical shapes of fine phosphor bronze sheet, solder it in generously and then filling and filing as necessary.

Any other views on methods?

Jim S
tony brenchley

Re: Locomotive cab fronts by Connor

Post by tony brenchley »

I have done a couple by soldering a piece of 1mm x 1mm square nickel silver joining the weather board (is this the correct name for the cab front?) and the roof and then filing to shape.

Tony B
tony brenchley

Re: Locomotive cab fronts by Connor

Post by tony brenchley »

I sould have added - with the cab sides attached before filing so you can tidy up the roof to side joins while you are filing.

Tony B
jimwatt2mm

Conner Cabs

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Re Connor cab fronts. I too have used the same method as Bill for my 98 class, 216 class and for the front and rear of the cab on 1A and would do the same again. Seeing into the top front corner of the cab in 2mm scale is all but impossible, certainly from normal viewing angles!

Sorry, just realised I should have put this in the Connor cab fronts topic.