Wagon Colours

How to do it, advice sought and offered.
David Blevins

Re: Wagon Colours

Post by David Blevins »

These are two photographs of a GNSR 10Ton Ballast Wagon taken at SRPS B'oness Museum last year.
It has recently been refurbished, hence the "shiny" paint job and the interior of the Wagon has had a new floor lain but the original Drop-side doors look original - unpainted - rough wood with cracks - shrinkages and gaps caused by the wood drying out through usage and braving the elements. Other dumb buffered wagons had a similar "interior look" in the Museum but unfortunately I never took any photographs of these. Next visit I will pay more attention to detail, it is surprising what one overlooks when it is staring you in the face.
David Blevins.
Attachments
DSCN2447.JPG
DSCN2447.JPG (40.78 KiB) Viewed 563 times
DSCN2454.JPG
DSCN2454.JPG (51.64 KiB) Viewed 563 times
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Returning to the earlier point, at least some of the Mineral wagons were painted inside. RYP card order 6708 for 70 16ton in Aug 1903 states "Colour of Paint, Body outside one coat of lead colour, two coats Red Oxide, with varnish added for the last coat. Inside one coat of lead colour"
Card Order 19105 April 1911 also states one coat lead colour for inside body.
I suggest that the prime purpose of the lead colour was as a wood preserver and for waterproofing the timber.

jim mac
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Interesting photos from a weathering point of view. Top photo definitely has a lived-in look well faded over the years with little or no differentiation between the original colours, but the tare and load standing out as being painted more recently. In the lower photo the newer wagons look in a worst state of repair than the bogies behind - probably not the way a modeller would instinctively go about weathering. Will have to take a mental note!

Lindsay