Scottish central shed in Perth.

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
Tony Guyan

Scottish central shed in Perth.

Post by Tony Guyan »

Help please, I did ask a while back for any photographs or drawings of this shed, so far the only decent photograph I have found is the one on page 74 of the livery book this is a cropped version of a larger still that is featured in the Locomotive magazine for 1900 taken by S.A. Forbes. There are two rather poor stills in the L.M.S. Engine sheds Vol V The Caledonian Railway but these are during what appears to be demolition. I intend to build this shed and make it a centre piece on a layout where I will also use the model of Dovecottland signal box which appears in the Signaling book. I will be very happy to receive any reference no matter how small. Living in hope Tony Guyan.
jim mac

Re: Scottish central shed in Perth.

Post by jim mac »

Tony
A search for "Perth Engine Shed" in the on-line catalogue of the National Records of Scotland produced the following list of drawings. I have not seen any of these so have no idea if they are what you require, but at least they might be a starting point.
jim mac

RHP16373
Architectural plan, section and elevation (2 copies) of offices in connection with Perth engine shed (Scottish North Eastern Railway).
c 1856

RHP16374
Architectural plan and elevation of proposed extension to Perth engine shed (Scottish North Eastern Railway).

RHP16495
Architectural plan, section and elevation of [Perth] engine shed (Scottish North Eastern Railway).

RHP17015
Architectural plan, section and elevation of Perth engine shed (Scottish Midland Junction Railway).

RHP17016
Architectural plan, section and elevation of Perth engine shed (Scottish Midland Junction Railway).
c 1855

RHP17017
Tony Guyan

Post by Tony Guyan »

Hello Jim,

A big thank you for these i will follow this and and hopefully get copies. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Tony.
Loch Awe

Post by Loch Awe »

Tony,

I have a decent photo of Dovecotland Jcn. and have drawn up the signal box diagram in 1948. If you drop me an email I'll pass on.

kind regards,

Robert
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

The SCR shed does seem a bit photo-shy doesn't it?

There is a plan of the original shed in David Hamilton's loco book, figure 12.8 ... and there are glimpses of the end elevation in various photos of locos (310A on p 202 of Marshall's Scottish Central book; 17663 in plate 172 in Hooper's "LMS Sheds in Camera"; 184 on p123 of Campbell Cornwell's "40 years of Caledonian locos"; 14618 on Railscot, here).

The photo below (I can't remember its origin, somewhere on the Web) was said to be at Perth and at least gives a detail of the water tank. The hill behind looks like Moncrieffe Hill and there is a glimpse of wagons on the raised line for the coaling bench in the background, which checks out with the OS map, so Perth seems plausible.
CR372 Perth shed.JPG
CR372 Perth shed.JPG (72.71 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
There is a nice aerial photo of the south end of the shed yard on the Britain From Above site, here, but most frustratingly it cuts off just before the end of the shed itself!

Sorry not to offer more inspiration but maybe someone else will be more helpful. Good luck in your quest ...

regards
Graham
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

Note that the plans referred to in Jim Mac's reply above are all for the SNE/SMJ shed which was sold to the Highland in the 1860s and eventually became the LMS Perth North, to the north of the Glasgow Road bridge north of the General station. The SCR shed at Friarton is not the subject of these plans. However, there is reference GD536/6748, "Scottish Central Railway - proposed arrangement for new shed at Perth" ... this seems to be part of the NBR Study Group's archive, oddly enough!

Otherwise the NRS does not appear to have anything on the SCR shed.

Also in my post above I referred to a plan in David Hamilton's book, but I have confused Perth Works with Perth SCR shed. David's (or rather Peter Marshall's) plan is for Perth Works, to the east of the railway north of the Edinburgh Road bridge; the SCR shed was west of the railway and south of that bridge. Sorry for the error ...

regards
Graham
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

Hi Tony, if you have access to the Scottish Line Societies photo archive, there is a very nice shot of Perth shed in Caley days by GF Burtt catalogued as FSLS entry number NRM9988. Another less extensive view is in NRM9574.

If you don't have a login, CRA webmaster Sinclair Coghill can help.

regards
Graham