Bachmann CR 812 Class 3F

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
WCML55.68

Bachmann CR 812 Class 3F

Post by WCML55.68 »

Good morning,

Im sure your already aware that the first sample of the forthcoming loco from Rails of Sheffield is with Rails.

For those unable to attend Model Rail Scotland, its here.....

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/artic ... ep-samples
WCML55.68

Re: Bachmann CR 812 Class 3F

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hello everyopne,

First decorated samples of the forthcoming Rails CR 812 are now on their website. Looking good.

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2425/caledonian-812
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Chust sublime!! But could it please be shrunk to ½ the scale, pretty please?

Jim
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

jimwatt2mm wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:02 pm
Chust sublime!! But could it please be shrunk to ½ the scale, pretty please?

Jim
Hello Jim, youre asking the wrong person, try dropping a note to Rails and Bachmann. But they do have a history of producing models in both scales, and sometimes it happens in O gauge too.

My concerns with the images is the rather overscale smokebox wheel, and the underside of the boiler which appears to be missing. Brought both to Rails attention before but not rectified as yet, would expect so at this sort of price. But canny complain too much, theyre going to be answer to manuy a prayer.

P
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

Bit worried about the "as built" blue compared to the "preserved" blue
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Yup, that smokebox dart is a rather noticeable carbuncle. Quite a few other features are wrong, omitted, or even added (sandbox and pipe between 2nd and 3rd wheels on the 828's?). Many features are well overscale, but even in their chubby state they haven't survived beyond the photograph shoot - broken lamp iron on 828 (preserved), broken handbrake handle on 57565, dislodged whistle on 57565 and lamp iron on 828 (preserved), and buffer dropping off 17566. Better keep these pricey objects out of the kids' way and in their boxes.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Indeed, but it wont stop me buying a couple. They will be a good starting place for detailing and renumbering, albeit very pricey. I love the patches on the tenders of the BR versions. And hopefully the production of the tender and other common parts will lead to maybe a Jumbo and other types. Too much to ask for a Standard Passenger??
I hope the build quality is better than Dapol Boxhill just received from Rails. Assembly is poor with a drooping footplate one side and the smokebox, chimney and sb hinges etc seem to have a lean to them.
John Lindsay

Post by John Lindsay »

Another couple of queries about the as built version. I was assuming (possibly wrongly) that it would be in the dark blue livery. It's not altogether clear, but I get the impression that the light blue wasn't applied routinely to new build locomotives until into the 20th century. (Light blue actually suits my modelling period better!)
I note that the buffer beam has a vermilion panel - 812 was photographed like this, but all the other photos of the class I have show the buffer beam as all over red.
I think these locos came out of the works with Furness lubricators on the smoke box front, not the later McIntosh type.
And finally, should the trailing edge of the cab roof not be red? (Easily rectified).

All that said, I'm very much looking forward to its release.

Cheers

John
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

The following 812's from the same batch as 828 were all photographed with Furness lubricators : 812, 820/1, 823/4/5, 827. It's probably safe to say that, as built, 828 would have had the same fitted. Also as built 828, along with most if not all 812's, was fitted with protruding wash-out plugs with the plug bolt lying horizontally rather than the later larger flush items with the plug lying radially. 828 still had the earlier wash-outs in LMS days but I've no idea when things changed.

At least 823 and 824 had vermillion panels on the front beam whilst fitted with Furness lubricators but that's not to say they were outshopped in that livery.

Lindsay
IanT

Post by IanT »

For info: Three of the "Rails of Sheffield" team were interviewed for the World of Railways virtual exhibition this past weekend:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/vir ... tion-part2

Scroll down to 10:40 on the web page time line for the interview link. It may expire soon.
The last five minutes or so were devoted to progress with their exclusive products, including the Caley loco. No projected date was given for delivery. They did emphasise that they expected them to sell very quickly and recommended reservation to be sure of acquiring one. This may, of course, be a marketing ploy! They claimed that details are often corrected after the first production samples.

They also said that they welcome constructive criticism of these items and were very complimentary about enthusiasts' input to their development. I did not recognise or make out their named contact, but my sound generated subtitles rendered him as "Jim Spy"....
jasp

Post by jasp »

Seems to be over now.
I probably was Jim Spy as he has been involved in the project.
Jim P