Caledonian Railway Staff List

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
David Blevins

Re: Caledonian Railway Staff List

Post by David Blevins »

I have been rather busy of late adding new entries to the Caledonian Railway Staff List.
Through a friend we discovered a Caledonian Railway Staff Book for St Rollox Works at the Scottish Railway Preservation Society at Boness in their Museum Archive. We arranged a vist in October, 2023 to SRPS Archive at Boness and a Very Helpful and Friendly Archivist allowed me to photograph the pages for the Caledonian Railway Association.
The St Rollox Engineering Works Staff Book is from the Drummond Period of the Works up to the middle of 1893. This comprises of 194 pages, with approximately 45 staff names per page, those with a handy calculator will know this is over 8500 names. They are listed aphabetically and I am now up to the surnames beginning "L", and 81 pages transcribed, so a bit to go yet, but hopefully it will be completed by January, 2024.

A further Update should be forthcoming before Christmas, let's hope I will be getting near the end of the Alphabet of Surnames by then.

David Blevins.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

One thing I did realise whilst going through the Caledonian Railway Accidents issued by the Board of Trade was the wealth of Information contained within, such as Locomotiive Numbers and Carriage Numbers.
I was recording the Names, occupations, and date of Accidents but then moving onto the next one, when I should be extracting the Caledonian from the Monthly or Quarterly Reports for all Railways within the UK.
It occurred to me that what I should be doing is Scanning these and making them a self-contained Caledonian Railway Item.
It has now been completed, and is from 1844 to 1946. It includes the early Railway Companies which then became the Caledonian Railway and then a selection of LMS Accident Reports from 1923 to 1946. The early Accident Reports are sometimes just a few sentences, but by 1923 had become several pages, with very interesting reading of Railway Life.
This Information should become available to CRA Members, once the CRA Committee has finalised negotiations, and ideas on how to make them available to you.

David Blevins
Last edited by David Blevins on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

David

That sounds like it will be a wonderful resource when it becomes available. Thank you for your work in collating all of this.

Jim :D
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

UPDATE ON CR ST ROLLOX WORKS STAFF BOOK
Just to let you know I have reached the letter "S" in the alphabet of Surnames from the CR St Rollox Works Staff Book, quite a slog getting throught the "M" & "Mac" & "Mc" as you would expect in a list of Scottish Surnames. But we are progressing and the CR Staff List is approaching 37,000 entries and only "S" to "Z" to go.
Starting again this Lunchtime (Friday) and hopefully I will meet my Target for Completion for a "NEW" CR Staff List" by the end of Janurary, 2024.

David Blevins.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

CR STAFF LIST

I have added the names from the CR St Rollox Works Staff Book to our Caledonian Railway Staff List, now over 38, 500 entries.
It does not seem that long ago, in fact January, 2021, when I was very pleased we had reached 17, 350 entries, it has certainly grown since then, which is all down to Members and the Public out there, who supply me with Interesting Information and Research on their Family Members and of course Private Research from People Interested in Railways, and in particular The Caledonian Railway.

I will now sit back and Look forward to the New Year, with a wee Dram or Two to enjoy, and wish you all a Happy New Year.

David Blevins.
p.s the Update on the Forum will take place in January, 2024.
caleyJim

Post by caleyJim »

Fantastic work David. Lang may yir lum reek.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Congratulations, David.
Some achievement.

Jim S
Mike 1

Post by Mike 1 »

David,

Please don't tell me that you've keyed in 38 thousand names by yourself! Even if you have a small team that's quite an achievement.

I suspect many members will think that they are not interested because they just want to model locos and rolling stock, or maybe collect pictures. BUT this type of thing is the core of the Society and a fantastic resource which will bring in people from outside the Society, together with their own records, memories and photographs which benefit us all.

Well done and thank you.

Mike
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

Happy New Year to Everyone.

It was a Team Effort of ONE, many long days from 10 am to early Evening, day after day, the trick is to Stop when blurred vision and headaches begin, and start again afresh the Next Day.
Glad to see it is appreciated, and looking forward to the next batch of names.

The Caledonian Railway Accident Reports was a similar effort, and I have now compiled a DVD/CD containing 1184 Board of Trade Accident Reports.
These were photographed, Scanned, Downloaded, and then collated alphabetically from 1844 to 1946, which includes a selection of CR/LMS Accident Reports, for after 1923.
A solution to making this available is imminent and should be of Interest to some of you.

David Blevins.
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

Excellent work - well done !! More power to your elbow/keyboard !!

regards

Arnold T.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

The Caledonian Railway Staff List is now available for "downloading" on the CRA Website and contains 38, 569 entries.

David Blevins.
David Blevins

Post by David Blevins »

The Caledonian Railway Accidents CD/DVD is now available.
It contains 1186 Reports on every Board of Trade Investigations from 1844 to 1923 along with a selection of CR/LMS Accidents from 1923 to 1946. It is useful for researching CR employees and helpful for Family Research as it contains Statements of the Caledonian Railways Staff/Servants on what actually happened.
It is available by contacting myself.

David Blevins.