Bankfoot Station Building

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
David Elvy

Bankfoot Station Building

Post by David Elvy »

I don't suppose any kind person out there would happen to have a drawing for Bankfoot Station Building, I am sure whether it was built to a Caledonian design or not?

Regards

David
David Elvy

Re: Bankfoot Station Building

Post by David Elvy »

Could Bankfoot station building have been similar in design to say Loch Tay station building?

David
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

David
The Bankfoot station building was not similar to Loch Tay, it is a more substantial design, as illustrated in the attached.
Bankfoot station.jpg
Bankfoot station.jpg (187.14 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
Bankfoot 2.jpg
Bankfoot 2.jpg (227.43 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
jim mac
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

My mistake I was thinking of Killin.

Would there happen to be any standard dimensions I could use to determine the size of the building, I know the platform was 15ft deep and the building was provided with full facilities, minus water when it opened.
Did waiting rooms for small stations get built to standard dimensions, I am guessing ladies waiting rooms would have been seperate from the gents?

Any information I can use to base the station design on would be appreciated.

Thanks David
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

I am trying to sketch up a plan for Bankfoot station building, the width I can estimate from the known platform width and the height I can estimate using various photos with things I can reference, however the length and probable layout still escapes me, any advice or assistance would be appreciated, thank.

David
Graham R

Post by Graham R »

Hi David,

As you have probably already discovered, the NLS map site doesn't have a large-scale map for the correct period, but some basic information can still be deduced from the 1959-dated 6-inch map. Unfortunately the platform had gone by then but you can still get the basic dimensions of the site. Since the station spans two map sheets I have pasted them together here for convenience, or rather for the purpose of legitimate criticism since this is a limited extract of a copyright work. The red scale is from the map border and shows 100-foot divisions.
bankfoot.jpg
bankfoot.jpg (57.29 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Hope it's of some interest
Regards
Graham
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

David,
The Bankfoot building didn't follow any standard CR building designs. It may have been commissioned from a local building company who were 'let loose' to build to a general specification. I do not know if the Bankfoot light railway was CR or was an independent company.

Despite the fact that the building survived as a tea room until fairly recently, I regret that I never got round to taking any measurements of it.

Here are photos of the building from the CRA Nick Tindall collection.

John Paton
Attachments
Bankfoot NT 29-7-67 3.jpg
Bankfoot NT 29-7-67 3.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Bankfoot NT 29-7-67 2.jpg
Bankfoot NT 29-7-67 2.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Bankfoot NT 29-7-67 1.jpg
Bankfoot NT 29-7-67 1.jpg (82.49 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hello David,

You are going through exactly what I have experienced with the buildings at Harthope. I have found that the NLS maps cannot be relied upon for any dimensions in my own case, even the shape of the buildings differs from map to map.

If photos are not taken full on at 90° and level with the subject, then angle, perspective and foreshortening will play a major part in distorting your calculations. The end-on shot with the ½-dozen wagons on the left would make a good starting point.

The one thing I have tried is to work out a plan as best possible , construct a card dry run before building the model possibly using a Cornflake packet, and then try comparing this to the photos at the appropriate angle and viewpoint to compare proportions.

Those chimney pots look identical to those Ive photographed at Beattock and Kirkpatrick Fleming, I estimate that they were either 2'6" or 2'9" tall, and have used 11mm in 4mm scale myself, they look OK. This one measurement may help you gauge the height of Bankfoot, from this you might be able to gauge the proportions of the ends. And of course the bricks should be 4" courses, 3 to the foot. But bear in mind that the pots are on a different plane beyond the ends of the building and an allowance for this may have to be made.

Good luck, Paul.
102F Beattock Village.JPG
102F Beattock Village.JPG (80.82 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Last edited by WCML55.68 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

You might find this easier to work with. Note how the pots seem to be different widths. Octagonal, so depends on position and perhaps shadow or sunlight too.. Ive never found any octagonal supplies, but Maquette do various sizes of hexagonal, 4mm and 5mm in my case. Get them to cut in half or thirds, it would save in P+P. If you reduce this and get the pots to 11mm in size, you would be able to take some dimensions straight from the photo.

http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog ... r30id082mr

BANKFOOT STATION DETAIL (2).jpg
BANKFOOT STATION DETAIL (2).jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

Hope this helps.
BANKFOOT STATION DETAIL ELEVATION.jpg
BANKFOOT STATION DETAIL ELEVATION.jpg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Thank you all, I think, but will probably be found wrong, that I have sufficent information to start sketching up the building in preparation to build my model, thanks.

David