CR 419 - progress at Bo'ness

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
Jim Summers

CR 419 - progress at Bo'ness

Post by Jim Summers »

It's all gone a bit quiet on here for a day or two, but publishing a picture of the new painting of the 419 should sort that.

JimS
419 disrobed 2017-08-28  compressed .jpg
419 disrobed 2017-08-28 compressed .jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 14328 times
jasp

Re: CR 419 - progress at Bo'ness

Post by jasp »

Sent some pics to the Editor last week but taken inside the running shed.
Good to see in daylight.
JP
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Am I right in recalling that she was previously finished in a rather darker shade of blue than is now shown on the side tank?

Allan F
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Allan
The master plan was that we wanted the two serviceable locomotives to represent the two blues used by the CR and 419 will appear in the lighter blue as used for the latter years of the company; the part of the plan still to be finalised is to photograph the two locomotives and the two carriages together.
For the record the CRA paid for the paint for both locomotives, they are BS381C 105 Oxford Blue for 828 and 109 Middle Blue for 419. To complete the paint spec the valance is painted 541 Maroon.
The CRA also sourced and paid for the Crests for both locomotives, which are different sizes.
jim mac
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Thank you for that, Jim.
Now the problem will be remembering where to find the reference when next I paint a locomotive!

Allan F
Coronach

Post by Coronach »

Looking at 419's tank I can't help feeling I wasted my money on that tin of RAF PRU blue I bought at Perth... :lol:

Dave.
David Elvy

Post by David Elvy »

Can I take it that we will see both engines in steam together at the same time?

Can I put my name down now for a ticket and reserve two seats please, no smiley face would be big enough for that day.

David
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

If 828 and 419 are doing a meet up, is there a general time of when this could possibly occur so I can save up and make arrangements to come over from the US?
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

This prospect is still very much a pipedream, while both sets of owners/trustees are aware of the huge potential interest such a meeting would generate there is as yet no firm commitment to make it happen. We should all start lobbying!
jim mac
Steve Parsons

Post by Steve Parsons »

The one potential problem is 419 will be getting her new boiler ticket just as 828 runs out of hers and with protracted overhaul periods it could bounce back and forth for many years before a window can be found where there able to bring them together.
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Folk might be interested to know that I have today seen 419 take her first steps under steam. She looks and sounds simply splendid.
Some little details still to complete on the locomotive, but she should be a real delight at the Caledonian weekend coming up.

That light blue is far more attractive than I thought it would be, frankly, and no wonder the company made the most of it. I am not posting a photograph at this stage, as it would be a spoiler.

Some more detailed information will be posted very soon on what the Association will be doing at Bo'ness on Saturday 3rd November to mark the occasion of 828 and 419 in service. Mark off the day in your diary if you possibly can.

Jim
Victorian_Lad

Post by Victorian_Lad »

My company will be going up there during and after the gala to record her for sounds so that will give the CRA recordings of 419 for future models.

Kris
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

That's good news, Kris.

The internal timetable shows the two locomotives working together when hauling public trains. The photo charter day will presumably have them singly.

I hope your guys enjoy their weekend.

JimS