Is this Wilsontown and if not where is it?

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
John Paton

Is this Wilsontown and if not where is it?

Post by John Paton »

At the Scottish Railway History Conference on Saturday Graham Todd and I were going through the photos in a draft of David Hamilton's forthcoming C.R. loco book. The accompanying photo was discussed, which had been assumed to be Wilsontown. However that location was questioned because there was a large building beyond the station building which we didn't think ever existed at Wilsontown, and because the track in the station was single - all photos we have seen of Wilsontown show double track.

I have searched all over the CR network to find an alternative location, without success. The characteristics are:
• A single track station, possibly with a loop beyond it. (quite a few stations had this).
• A lean-to station building. Many examples, at single-platform stations.
• A building (goods shed or house) at or beyond the end of the platform, with its roof-ridge parallel to the track. Many stations had a building in this position, but with the house and its roof at right-angle to the track.

I have searched Lanarkshire (all lines, particularly Brocketsbrae), Kirtlebridge – Brayton, PP&W, Peebles, Dolphinton, Balerno, Perthshire (all lines), Angus (all lines but particularly Dundee – Newtyle, Dundee – Forfar, Arbroath – Forfar, Brechin – Edzell).

Going back to Wilsontown, I attach an annotated copy of the photo with features for that location (green arrows) and against (red arrows). I also attach the 1896 OS map - the first that shows the station, and my only CR-era photo of Wilsontown - looking in the wrong direction.

Could the building have been demolished before 1896? Could the track through the station have been doubled after the photo was taken? The home signal in the background would be on single track so there would be no loop beyond the station (a road bridge below the track would prevent this).

Any thoughts?

John
Attachments
Wilsontown CR days.jpg
Wilsontown CR days.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 10117 times
Wilsontown OS 1896 25 inch.jpg
Wilsontown OS 1896 25 inch.jpg (69.9 KiB) Viewed 10117 times
Photo compressed - annotated.jpg
Photo compressed - annotated.jpg (65.49 KiB) Viewed 10117 times
Photo compressed.jpg
Photo compressed.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 10117 times
caley739

Re: Is this Wilsontown and if not where is it?

Post by caley739 »

John
I think this IS Wilsontown. On eBay is a seller of railway station photographs user name "redgate8". He lists 2 images of Wilsontown, one the same as yours and the other where the station name can be easily read. In fact after blowing up your image I can convince myself that it says Wilsontown on the name board on the front of the platform building.

Tom Robertson

I think I have misunderstood and have referred to the wrong photo :oops:
Last edited by caley739 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

Hi John,
It's not Wilsontown and if I had forwarded the photos I promised you on the train back from the AGM, you would know the answer to this question, sorry!
railway-station11-2 copy.jpg
railway-station11-2 copy.jpg (108.03 KiB) Viewed 10077 times
So with an appropriate air of mystery here is another picture of the same station looking as if it's before the train arrived, but I think is further up the line running around for the trip back, behind the waiting crowd (look at the signal position). The enamel running in boards are not clear on either pic but the one with the train at the platform ends with a letter "E".
railway-station10-2 copy.jpg
railway-station10-2 copy.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 10077 times
The unrebuilt 0-4-2 is probably No 675.
Last clue this was, at the time of the photo, the passenger terminus but not the end of the line!

Dave L
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Being on holiday and not able to access the NLS maps on my tablet for some reason, from the clues can I make a guess at Morningside?

Jim W
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

I can't help with this location identification but just look at that earth-built buffer stop on the centre right! That's received a really serious runaway or shunt at some point!
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Looking at the 1859 and 1896 OS maps for Morningside I just can't see how this could be the location. Morningside had a different design of station, the track curved in the opposite way, there were two tracks through the station and the platform line was terminal.

I am really struggling to come up with an alternative. One of the few CR stations that I don't have a photo of is Tannadice, but I didn't think it had a loop so would not have signals.

Perhaps Mr Lochrie could put me out of my misery!

John
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Dave,

Really thinking out the box here, but could it be the original Stonehouse station before construction of the Mid-Lanarks? I have never seen a photo of it.

John
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Just searched out the 25" OS map of Stonehouse, and here it is. A good match!

John
Attachments
Stonehouse 25inch 1896 OS map.jpg
Stonehouse 25inch 1896 OS map.jpg (58.55 KiB) Viewed 9956 times
Dave Lochrie

Post by Dave Lochrie »

John,
Just searched out the 25" OS map of Stonehouse, and here it is. A good match!
-a perfect match, in fact. We have become so familiar with the later station that its easy to ignore the fact that it wasn't always like that. If you recall I had asked Fred why the branch terminated with a siding accross the river from Cot Castle with no colliery or quarry in the vicinity?
Cot Castle.jpg
Cot Castle.jpg (97.12 KiB) Viewed 9908 times
Final picture from the set is this shot of the same train after leaving Stonehouse, crossing the Cander Viaduct. Does the presence of the goods brake van imply the working would have been mixed if there had been any traffic on offer?
viaduct-on-cander-2 copy.jpg
viaduct-on-cander-2 copy.jpg (121.35 KiB) Viewed 9908 times
Dave L
John Paton

Post by John Paton »

Thanks for your confirmation Dave. What a relief!

I have to admit that I looked for all stations ending in 'e' in the station index at the beginning of the summer 1908 public timetable, and made a very small list of 'possibles'. Each of these was discounted after further research, so I went through the list again looking for stations ending in 'e' that had been rebuilt, and came upon Stonehouse.

John
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Dave,
That is a lovely scene of the train on the viaduct. Trains are all too rarely photographed tender or bunker first. The smoke trails beautifully.

You ask if it could have been a mixed train.
My quick look at the 1883 timetable does not indicate any mixed trains on that route, but that is not to say that they were not subsequently authorised.
However, my thoughts are that the goods brake was there simply to provide a brake at that end because of some failure to provide a braked passenger vehicle. In the opposite direction it would have acted as a leader. It might also have had the benefit of offering more luggage space (fruit? milk?).

JimS
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Sorry Jim, I reckon that smoke trail has been added to the negative or print, or enhanced in some way. It's well done though. Enjoy next weekend as I'm sure you will! Mike.