Wagon tranfers Type 2

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
Dave John

Wagon tranfers Type 2

Post by Dave John » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Ok, a type 2 sheet with more CRs in many sizes.
Wagon transfer sheet test 2.afphoto
(204.64 KiB) Downloaded 688 times

Dave John

Re: Wagon tranfers Type 2

Post by Dave John » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:57 pm

In jpg format.
Wagon transfer sheet type 2 j p g.jpg.zip
(759.99 KiB) Downloaded 672 times

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:27 pm

In PDF format.
Wagon transfer sheet type 2 p d f.pdf
(88.43 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
JimG, I have had a look at transferring to .WMF , but so far no real success, it generates it as an image rather than a set of layers. It also ends up a bit on the large size. I will have a dig on the net and see if it can be done without buying pricey software.

Mike,you are right, I should have thought before just adding that in. The background colour is a layer in the aphoto file and can be easily adjusted in affinity to match the shade of body colour. All the individual bits of text are different objects, they have their own colour properties and are scaleable so you could make up a sheet to your own needs. When converted to a jpg it all just becomes one picture, but any decent photo editing program should be able to adjust it.

Wagon plates could be done this way. My present method is that a have a blank numberplate picture and a numbers picture with 0-9 as separate elements. Each time I need one I assemble it and then print it out on plain paper at about 3% size. It has the advantage that any number can be created as required. A bit crude, but they look ok from a distance. I will have a think about how that could be done as transfers.

Peter, I will investigate that possibility.

Anyway, all part of an ongoing project.

JimG

Post by JimG » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Dave John wrote: JimG, I have had a look at transferring to .WMF , but so far no real success, it generates it as an image rather than a set of layers. It also ends up a bit on the large size. I will have a dig on the net and see if it can be done without buying pricey software.
Dave,

It was just to see if your program could export a vector file which could be imported into other programs and scaled with no loss of quality. The WMF file (Windows Meta File) is quite common in Windows and its import is usually catered for in any graphics program running in Windows. It might be worth finding out what vector files your program will export to see if there is one or more which can be used.

Jim.

JimG

Post by JimG » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Dave,

Another option might be an .SVG file which affinity appears to be able to export - according to this thread here...

https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index. ... atibility/

that can be imported into CorelDraw, which I use.

Jim.

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Ok, lets try .svg
Wagon transfer sheet test 1.svg
(158.1 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Wagon transfer sheet test 2.svg
(277.53 KiB) Downloaded 643 times

John Duffy

Post by John Duffy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 pm

I have tried these using GIMP. Whilst it gives a clear background, it seems to mess about with the alignment of the lettering. It looks like the letters sit over one another.

My 'go to' program is Pixelmator, but it cannot open .svg files.

Please do persevere as these looks like they will be very useful. I have 5 TLM cattle wagons waiting for lettering.

John

dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:33 am

Dave John wrote:In PDF format.
Wagon transfer sheet type 2 p d f.pdf
Wagon plates could be done this way. My present method is that a have a blank numberplate picture and a numbers picture with 0-9 as separate elements. Each time I need one I assemble it and then print it out on plain paper at about 3% size. It has the advantage that any number can be created as required. A bit crude, but they look ok from a distance. I will have a think about how that could be done as transfers.
Some years ago when I was doing a number of wagons for Burntisland I developed a method for wagon numberplates using self adhesive label paper. When cut to size and stuck down they looked very well. Not running to fancy graphic programs I used the drawing capabilities in Word to create a sheet of plates all with different numbers, I then fiddled about to get the plates the right size, and changed from black on white to white on black. I haven't had one come unstuck yet. They were easier than CR plates because the numbers and letters ran in straight horizontal lines. But I'm working on it!

Allan F

JimG

Post by JimG » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Dave John wrote:Ok, lets try .svg
Wagon transfer sheet test 1.svg
Wagon transfer sheet test 2.svg
Dave,

Both files popped up in Coreldraw and look fine with the oxide coloured background. I am keen on vector re-scaling since I would be looking for the best quality of the scaling for S scale and 1:32 scale. Many thanks for your efforts in making the files more useable for me.

Jim G.

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi John, I see pixelmator might import .psd , but not other vector formats. Trouble is photoshop files are just very big.

Any other file format possibilities ?

John Duffy

Post by John Duffy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Rather frustratingly Pixelmator can be turned into Vectormator with a little slight of hand and Ctrl+Shift+V - it still doesn't handle .SVG files though!

I can handle PSD, JPEG, TIFF, PNG, WebP, PDF, GIF, BMP, TGA It is getting one that will allow the background layer to be removed. Although saying that, I think your red-oxide background will probably be usable, especially with a little weathering. Might an alternative be to save in a format that allows a clear background? that way a colour block could be inserted behind the lettering.

John

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:25 pm

I can make a transparent background in affinity, but that just seems to export at white on white.

I'll play about a bit.

John Duffy

Post by John Duffy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Has there been any further progress made with the wagon transfers? I am looking to get some printed for 7mm, I just need black text on white in PDF to get them printed and can do the general lettering using Word or similar, but so far have not found a suitable font for the CR lettering. Is there a specific font that can be used to get the C and the R correct?

Thanks

John

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi John,

The C and the R are not fonts, I created objects in a drawing package based on the dimensions shown in the wagon book. I looked at many fonts, nothing matches.

The simplest way would be to download the svg above, put it in a drawing package, select the parts you want, copy them to create a new sheet then scale it to 7mm and export it as a pdf. The svg is compressed there, I could email you the full resolution one if needed.

I'm not sure whats happening with the project overall, I'll try and get a bit of progress.

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:33 pm

Sorry it’s been a long time with no news. This was a combination of being too busy and trying to be too clever. Following on from Lindsay’s analysis of what’s available and what might be needed, I suggest that the basis of the A5 sheet should be transfers for the wagons that are available at present in 4mm. As it happens these are all for post 1882 stock, so we also need some transfers for wagons of the pre-Drummond era. This isn’t too complicated as the lettering and numbering was confined to the solebar. I suggest that at least three numbers are provided for each wagon in the list below – maybe 6 for the minerals. We should also provide name plates. Ian Ford did some mock-ups a while ago, and when reduced to 4mm the writing isn’t decipherable, but the number is visible OK.

GOODS
Open Diagrams 15, 24
Covered Diagrams 3 and 67
Cattle Diagram 10
Twins Diagram 109
Tube Diagram 114
MINERAL
Diagrams 22, 46 and 59
GOODS BRAKES
Diagrams 6, 62 and 63

PRE-DRUMMOND
8-ton open
6-ton covered with roof door
7-ton mineral
Loco coal
1873 cattle wagon
1874 goods brake van

For each wagon type we also sufficient need tare weights and load weights. The rest of the sheet could be made up of random numbers and insignia for other wagon types such as rail, twin etc.

What do Members think? If you're happy with this approach as a starting point, I can provide the necessary data to populate the sheet. That would then give us an idea about the space remaining.

Best

Mike

David Blevins

Post by David Blevins » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:22 pm

Good Work Mike.
Looking forward to purchasing the CR Wagon Transfers.
David Blevins.

jasp

Post by jasp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Please be aware that it is likely to be some time before wagon transfers become available as there is much work still to be done.
Jim P

dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:01 pm

The System has just deleted my reply. I'm going away to sulk

Allan F

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Am I correct in thinking the discussion is centred around 4mm scale transfers?

Has it been decided who it is planned to use to print the transfers?

David

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 pm

That selection appeals to me, Mike. Very good to include the pre-Drummond stuff.

JimS

MIKEWILLIAMS

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 pm

David Elvy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:46 pm
Am I correct in thinking the discussion is centred around 4mm scale transfers?

Has it been decided who it is planned to use to print the transfers?

David
Yes, David it's 4mm at present, but as the transfers will be a digital file they should be scaleable. I don't know who's doing the printing.

Best

Mike

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Mike

If it’s numbers you need to make up to do a batch in 7mm scale I’ll commit to buying a batch if it means justifying taking things forward.

Using the HMRS Scottish pre-grouping transfer sheet is probably the least economic means of buying transfers and I’m getting close to needing some more transfer.

David

John Duffy

Post by John Duffy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:01 pm

I would be happy with the file and then get them printed myself for 7mm.

John

David Elvy

Post by David Elvy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:13 pm

John Duffy wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:01 pm
I would be happy with the file and then get them printed myself for 7mm.

John
John,

It could be perceived that I have a conflict of interest hence not offering to have them produced myself, although i wouldn’t rule out having them produced in 7mm myself, which ever is simplest for the association and leads to them getting produced suits me.

David

jasp

Post by jasp » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:23 pm

Gentlemen
Let us, please, not get ahead of ourselves.
As I, and others involved, see it, initially the transfers would be produced in 4 mm but, as Mike has said, there is no reason why 7mm versions could not be produced.
There is still some way to go before we even think about who we get to produce transfers but we would be happy for suggestions
Please do not hold your breath waiting for transfers, this will still take some time.
Jim P