Operating The Caledonian Railway

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
caley739

Operating The Caledonian Railway

Post by caley739 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am

I received my copy yesterday and am already more than halfway into my first reading of it, and a right good read it is proving to be. Jim Summers is to be congratulated on a splendid work.In it he qotes in full a chapter from Fifty Years of Scottish Steam by A G Dunbar concerning memories of Driver Jock McLeish of Perth. I first read this many years ago in pre internet pre CR Association days and never met Alan Dunbar in person.
There is a statement in the chapter that niggled in my mind even in those far off days. He mentions working a special to Carlise with Superheater No.46 and for the return journey taking over a troop train off the Lanky (Lancashire & Yorkshire). My query is in the brackets. I have long believed that when Carlisle railwaymen spoke of the Lanky they meant The Lancaster & Carlisle rather than the L&Y.
Does anyone have thoughts on this point which is not directly Caledonian related and challenges respected authority Alan Dunbar! It has prompted me to reread Fifty Years of Scottish Steam though!

Tom Robertson

MIKEWILLIAMS

Re: Operating The Caledonian Railway

Post by MIKEWILLIAMS » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am

That niggled me too, Tom, especially as the book's appendix categorically states the 'Lanky' is NOT the L&YR!

Best

Mike

Dave John

Post by Dave John » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:49 pm

I can't shed any light on that question, but I would say how much I am enjoying the book.

Many thanks for writing it Jim.

Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:22 pm

Thanks for buying and also reading the book, folks.

This Lanky business worried me a bit too, but I decided that the reference to picking up a train off the Lanky was misunderstood by Alan Dunbar. He should not have added in the remark "Lancashire & Yorkshire". My feeling is that Jock McLeish meant the Lancaster and Carlisle and he felt no need to elaborate.
We'll never know for sure whence the train came, I don't suppose.

Maybe we can put the whole thing to the test at the AGM in Carlisle this coming weekend, by asking the staff what they understand as the Lanky.

Jim

caley739

Post by caley739 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:53 am

Jim
Your interpretation does seem to be the most plausible explanation. Alan Dunbar spent his working life in the Glasgow area and may not have been over familiar with the minute detail of operations in Carlisle. Perhaps his co author Dr I A Glen was responsible for the offending brackets !!
Another thought is that even if the train originated on the L&YR sytem it would still be coming off The Lancaster & Carlisle at Carlisle, although via Hellified and the Midland might be a slight possibility. But in that case would Jock not have said "off the Midland"?
As you say say we will never know for sure. It will be interesting to hear the result of enquiries at the forthcoming Carlisle meeting.

Tom