Strathearn School Trains

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
Bill_Gensheet

Strathearn School Trains

Post by Bill_Gensheet » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 pm

The Strathearn book, and TL magazine (no.45 page 14-5, or page 873-4 of the pdf CD) contains a report from May 1949 of the 4.17 Perth - Crieff crossing at Madderty (4.43) an unadvertised school train coming from Crieff, so I'd guess at around 4.20 departure.

However the available public timetables (1948 online, 1950 I have myself) do not show advertised trains for the children to get to school in the morning. The first advertised down train being 10.00 from Perth.

Has anyone come across any evidence of a morning school train for the Madderty line ?
It would have had to be 8.17 at Madderty or 8.26 at Methven Jn, due to the 8.05 Crieff - Perth

Bill

bdrummond

Re: Strathearn School Trains

Post by bdrummond » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 am

Bill

I can see no evidence in the working timetable of any trains on the Perth - Crieff line in the late forties which would have served children attending Crieff schools. There was at that time, however, a long-standing unadvertised Monday to Friday mixed train which left Crieff at 4pm for Blackford which catered for school children.

The unadvertised afternoon Perth-bound train at Madderty may of course have been a special.

Bob Drummond

Bill_Gensheet

Re: Strathearn School Trains

Post by Bill_Gensheet » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 pm

I should have noted, the date was a Monday.

A special might explain the 'full' noted, as I wonder how likely it is that even a single coach would be full with just schoolchildren for Madderty and east thereof.
Even today a 20 seater bus serves the south road (ie not A85 side).

Bill