Unknown Location

Any aspect related to the structures and equipment on the Caledonian Railway Company.
dumb buffer

Unknown Location

Post by dumb buffer »

This picture is from the Association Archives and is titled Aberdeen 89 1936. Apart from the fact that it isn't Aberdeen I really don't know where it is. The original is a very large file and under magnification the line can be seen to curve round to the left. There is a large signal gantry in the distance. Does anyone have any idea?

Allan F
Aberdeen 89 - 1936.jpg
Aberdeen 89 - 1936.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
caley739

Re: Unknown Location

Post by caley739 »

My first thought is that it is the ex North Eastern Railway shed at Ferryhill in County Durham. The engines look like North Eastern types. The scene is a good fit to the 25 inch Ordnance Survey. Perhaps there is confusion with the Aberdeen shed of the same name!!

Tom Robertson
dunalastairv

Post by dunalastairv »

Yes, definitely Ferryhill Shed, N.E.R., and dated August 1936. This same picture appears on the 'website' under that location heading.

Mike.
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Apologies that this photograph still appears in our Photograph Archive as Aberdeen.

I recall removing the print from the collection on at least two occasions and we will need to update the database accord
jim mac
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

Jim, don't panic about it. The picture is on my hard drive from the days when I was archivist. Thanks for identifying it. It had me puzzled -- I never thought of the other Ferryhill!

Allan F
wsaxt04

Post by wsaxt04 »

Ferryhill – NER or Aberdeen - CR.

With regard to the recent mis-captioning of the photograph of Ferryhill, NER, I was reminded of the sad but true situation prior to 'LMS Engine Sheds vol. five – the Caledonian Railway' by C. Hawkins & G. Reeve (Wild Swan Publications, 1987) appearing in print. A track layout diagram had been submitted for possible use, but (the late) Duncan Burton quickly identified that it was most certainly not Ferryhill – Aberdeen, but Ferryhill-County Durham. Duncan was a fount of information on all matters relevant to both the Caledonian Railway and the LMS, and it was also the case that he had been appointed as 'Maintenance Foreman' at Ferryhill, Aberdeen, in 1954. Duncan served as our Chairman over time period February 1987 – December 1993, and an authoritative account of his life and times appeared within 'TTL' no. 46 – summer 1994.

regards

Arnold T.
caley739

Post by caley739 »

I've been browsing the Archives, Photographs, Engine Sheds Harold Bowtell Collection, and this photo is still there, still claiming to be Aberdeen Ferryhill !! Collection Ref ES089, Index No 88.