Train Formation

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
caley739

Re: Train Formation

Post by caley739 »

Ian
The situation at Port Carlisle Branch Junction is quite complicated with the 1960s scene radically different from the early 20th century years. The layout must have been considerabley altered during WW2 when the second bridge for the goods lines over the River Eden was constructed. Prior that time there were no goods lines beteen Port Carlisle Branch Junction and Etterby Junction, only the up and down main.
Based on the OS of 1925 from the south there are up and down main, and up and down goods. The up and down goods go only to Willowholme Junction, but there is also a junction from up and down main towards Willowholme Jucnction, ie. four tracks towards Willowholme Junction where they converge to be double track. There is no connection between the goods lines and main lines at Port Carlisle Branch Junction, as there is apparently in our mystery photo. There is one short siding shown between the main lines and the Port Carlisle branch.
For these reasons I am not convinced that the location is Port Carlisle Branch Junction. There is also the signalling. It just does not seem right. I have several pre group era post cards, all of which show the bracket signal with a home and a distant arm.
Having said all of this I am not totally confident with the Germiston Junction idea. Other areas I have thought about include Carstairs,Whifflet,Mossend/Holytown,Rutherglen, but without any definite conclusions.
Tom

Addendum
Would Carlisle No 3 be the replacemnt for Port Carlsle Branch box?
IBrown

Post by IBrown »

Tom,

According to Alexander & Nicoll Port Carlisle Branch Junction was controlled by Carlisle No3 box from 14/3/1909. No3 was the Caldew Junction in the Accident Report, and sat just on the Carlisle side of the bridge over that River. It's just visible in the aerial photo. Perhaps the relaxation of the original BoT restriction on the maximum distance facing points could be placed from the controlling signal box allowed this box to take over.

The presence in the OS Map of a siding on the far side of the Up branch line throws some doubt on what the junction layout was at that time. How would the siding have been worked without a connection with the Goods lines? Otherwise shunting it would have blocked both main lines.

Ian
Last edited by IBrown on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Hayes

Post by Brian Hayes »

Ian,

Returning to the photograph, the siding in the foreground on the Canal Branch is a distant memory of mine, although I can find no accurate record of the siding in the Handbook of Stations 1912 edition. To me, this confirms the location of the original Port Carlisle Branch Jct.

Brian
caley739

Post by caley739 »

I know this is a very old thread, but I have been browsing the Archive, Photographs, Locomotives section, where the thumbnail for this photo is (correctly I think) captioned as an up train at Shawfield, Glasgow. Collection Reference 29538, Index No 05055.
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Since the illustrated catalogue of our photographic archive has been available on the website, there has been little evidence of how it is being used and how useful the members find it.
Any comments, suggestions, etc relating to this aspect of our Archive will be very welcome.

jim mac
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

I used it last night to find out whether 232 class 0-6-0ST's had lettering on their tanks as it is not clear on any of the photos I have. (Answer is they did!)

Jim W