I attach a scan of Ferryhill’s sand drying and kindling furnace building, which remained very much as original until diesel days, when it became the bothy for the electricians!
I have a question...does anyone know the purpose of the 3 openings on the West elevation, which look as if the can be opened/closed using the boards shown hanging from the rail? Possibly something related to dispensing sand, or coal for the fire, or ash removal?
As you can see from the photo of GNSR 49, one of the openings has since been bricked up, but the other(s) appear to be functional....any ideas please.
To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Sand Kiln section 1.JPG (87.73 KiB) Viewed 947 times
- Sand Kiln Scale Print.JPG (87.6 KiB) Viewed 947 times
- 60024withdrawn 61B.JPG (59.44 KiB) Viewed 947 times
- 60004 repair road .JPG (80.19 KiB) Viewed 947 times
- 49 61B 1960's.JPG (124.48 KiB) Viewed 947 times