Ferryhill, modification to CR water column

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
[email protected]

Ferryhill, modification to CR water column

Post by [email protected] »

I attach some pics showing what has been done to effect this modification. Not sure when the columns were modified, but suspect after WW2.
Mikes Models make a passable 4mm CR column (see pic MM39), and together with some measurements made by the late Richard Chown at Lockerbie (UP), and with a little help from a 3D wizard down in Christchurch on the south island of NZ, we created the mod....pretty good I reckon!
The other pic shows the real thing for comparison.
Attachments
MM39.jpg
MM39.jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
ferryhill3.jpg
ferryhill3.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
_HLB5331.jpg
_HLB5331.jpg (13.91 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
Jim Summers

Re: Ferryhill, modification to CR water column

Post by Jim Summers »

Impressive, Mike, and shows what 3D can achieve.
Richard Chown would have been delighted.

JimS
jim mac

Post by jim mac »

Currently processing photographs taken by Templeton, which are held as a NRM collection. The attached clearly illustrates the need to have the addition height.
There is now a supplementary question, which other sheds' water cranes were modified and were all the modifications to the same style.
Ferryhill water cranes.jpg
Ferryhill water cranes.jpg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
jim mac
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

a quick scan through LMS Engine Sheds Vol 5 shows that Dalry Road had a completely different style with a swan neck arm and counter balance (p46), those at Dawsholm appear unchanged (p54), Kingmoor would appear to have had a straight upwards extension with a straight arm added (p90), Polmadie seems to have taller columns with a straight arm with no counterbalance (p118) and likewise at Stirling (bottom p137). Having said all that, these are the only photos I can find in the book clearly showing water columns.

Jim W
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Interestingly I have uncovered a couple more pics at 61B taken in the mid 1950's showing the modification to the columns in place.
However, equally intriguingly another pic taken of 4472 at Ferryhill in 1964 which suggests an unmodified column!
I suspect the columns were modified to give increased height as suggested by Jim Mac, to ease the task of watering high sided LNER 8 wheel tenders....the request was probably made through ASLEF, and perhaps could be checked out via applicable existing records of the management/union meetings of the time.
Attachments
62267 61B.jpg
62267 61B.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
4472 at Aberdeen - 16 May 64 - Andrew Arnot.jpg
4472 at Aberdeen - 16 May 64 - Andrew Arnot.jpg (78.46 KiB) Viewed 1564 times