4 and 6 wheel coaches

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
jasp

4 and 6 wheel coaches

Post by jasp » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Hatton’s will be producing a range of 4 and 6 wheel coaches.
It is proposed that the third batch will include coaches in CR livery - but it will be some time before these are produced.
These are “generic” coaches not based on particular prototypes but will, presumably, look the part.
Check out “genesis project” on hattons.co.uk
Jim P

Dave John

Re: 4 and 6 wheel coaches

Post by Dave John » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:26 pm

I had a look, seems to have created quite a storm over there. At least if the CR liveried ones are in the third batch there will be plenty of posts about the initial batches to give an idea of whether they are worth buying.

I suspect that by the time they come out my silhouette could have cut out the bits to build a full sized one from 10 thou.

LarryC

Re: 4 and 6 wheel coaches

Post by LarryC » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 am

Six-wheeled coaches are a challenge to get to run round curves the originals would not contemplate, so this is a welcome initiative. The wheelbase is a scale 23 feet, the breadth just under 8 feet and the body length 32 feet 5 inches or so. Checking out Mike Williams' magnum opus, the nearest fit seems to be the Drummond Diagram 8 First 5 compartment coach, which had the standard 23' wheelbase; its body length was 35' 6", so three feet longer - in other words, the model is 1.2 cm short. The other issue is that Hattons will be selling a 5 compartment Third, rather than a 5 compartment First. This can be amended using Fox's transfers, I'm sure. The Caley 6 wheeled Third had six compartments.

The other two 6 wheel offerings may be less useful. The Brake third has the Guard's accommodation at one end, rather than centrally. On the other hand, the spacings of the three Third compartments are pretty close to what the Caley used; buying two and then doing a Steve Parsons style cut-and-shut with a razor saw might produce a reasonable copy of a Diagram 14 Third, but at £30 apiece, £60 for a conversion to produce one coach may not be worth it. Maybe if unliveried/painted coacher become available for kitbashers, it might become economic.

The other issue is the Drummond full panelling, which I don't think Hattons' offerings will reproduce.

Hattons are to be commended for their initiative in producing stock for the independent companies pre-1923. Perhaps the range will increase if the initial runs are successful.