Another Wagon Mark

Any aspect related to the prototype stock.
lindsay_g

Another Wagon Mark

Post by lindsay_g »

Browsing through images, on a completely unrelated matter, I noticed the scrawl beneath the C on this image (it's like 2 back to back bananas with a connecting line):

Another Squigle.jpg
Another Squigle.jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
It caught my eye as the same scrawl appears on 2 other images in the Wagon Book (P87).

Apologies if I've missed explanation in the text somewhere, but what significance has this squiggle?

Lindsay
dunalastairv

Re: Another Wagon Mark

Post by dunalastairv »

I don't think that's paint: it's either service damage or a chalk message that's been erased or altered. If it were paint, it's too crude to be anything official.

Michael.
lindsay_g

Post by lindsay_g »

Have a look at the 2 images on P87 of the Wagon Book. Whether it's chalked, painted, or whatever, the 3 are too identical for this to be coincidence.
Alan K

Post by Alan K »

Don't know what the mark signifies but Plate 10.17 (which is on the front cover of the Wagon book) is from the 1900 Register of Wagon Plant. I think Plates 5.2 and 5.3 are close-ups from Plate14.2 which may have come from the same source. I wonder if they were also taken at the same location in which case they may well have been applied by the same hand....

Alan
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

I confess I had not noticed this mark before and do not really know what it means.

But I would suggest one or two things. It might be by a wagon examiner. He would have labels for wagons needing repair or being stopped, but the chalk mark, e.g a bad brake, or that the fault had been rectified and approved by the supervisor.
My other suggestion is that it was applied by the yardsman in charge to indicate a particular segregation for that wagon.
The latter seems less likely in view of the location of the mark.
Then again it could be a mark made by the numbertaker for some purpose - a census for example. It is pretty good for chalk, though.

So my final suggestion is that it was an early version of the 'catface' painted on wagons which were out of service and for disposal.

All intriguing though, but Lindsay does keep finding such intriguing things.

Jim