Staff Query

The day to day working of the Caledonian Railway Company, including its constituents and successors.
jim mac

Staff Query

Post by jim mac »

Mike Michael author of the Montrose & Bervie Railway has asked for assistance with the attached photograph and writes
"It is of a Caledonian Railway member of staff, allegedly in the Montrose area. He looks like a crossing keeper to me, and has the insignia “CR 1092” on both lapels. Presumably that was his staff number. The flag is white, according to my colorisation programme. The building is made of brick. Clearly not Broomfield Crossing on the Dubton line"
crossing keeper (query).jpg
crossing keeper (query).jpg (31.91 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Any views and/or suggestions.
jim mac
dunalastairv

Re: Staff Query

Post by dunalastairv »

That is another wonderful photograph but it does not follow the house behind our Flagman was a railway building, or even his home. The window in particular is very distinctive with its multitude of small panes, and doesn't seem at all railway prototypical, perhaps dating from an earlier age?...
dumb buffer

Post by dumb buffer »

I would suggest that the window is metal (iron or steel?) When would iron framed windows appear? I don't recall seeing that kind of window on any railway building.

Allan F
jasp

Post by jasp »

Sorry to disagree, Allan, but enlarging the pic the window framing looks more like wood.
Jim P
WCML55.68

Post by WCML55.68 »

That window really is a peculiar affair. There appears to be a framework or beading around the extremity, 45° angles top left and top right, and the thickness of this would suggest that this is wooden. But the actual window frame, again the depth of the frame around the extremity would again suggest wood unless it is flat metal, and perhaps the whole is held in or finished off by the beading?. The top row of panes appear to be puttied along the top edge at 45° maybe the rest of the spars are too, I feel it could be T shaped metal, maybe wrought iron but if wooden, surely they would be very spindly?. But its not a sash window and there appears to be no openers at all. But there does appear to be two shaped fittings, one above each top left and top right pane, but those panes dont appear to open. Surely residential property would have openers? It looks like theres a hint of a sill above this window and something near the door too, but if so, it would mean that the upstairs windows would be very close to the floor.

One thing for sure, that looks like the face of a character not to be messed with!