Signal Boxes

To assist modellers plan and build a Caledonian Railway layout with the appropriate stock. A list/catalogue of supplies and components is available to members in the Association Resources section of the Forum below.
Orbiston

Signal Boxes

Post by Orbiston »

I have grown tired of trying to adapt proprietary models to look vaguely like CR signalboxes (and the Bachmann offering doesn't cut it for me) so I thought I would have a try at getting one cut using this new technology. I have used it for a McIntosh 50 foot open third and been very pleased at its potential. So with the welcome advice of Jim Mac and Jim Watt I have put this together. Its not meant to be the full kit and is slightly off original to allow the use of proprietary offerings like stairs, doors and lavatory, and readily available plastic mouldings for corners etc. I've already sourced the roof and walkway supports from York Modelmaking to use in an earlier abandoned kit bashing attempt. And I haven't attempted the roof as I'm aware that modellers have their own way of making roofs. I realise that my standards may be way below others but I'm hoping to produce a typical Southern Region Box. I'd welcome any comments.
Attachments
CR Signalbox shell.pdf
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
jasp

Re: Signal Boxes

Post by jasp »

I am really pleased about your efforts.
Difficult to visualise from the drawings and I look forward to the result.
Anyone fancy doing a Northern Division box?
Jim P
jimwatt2mm

Post by jimwatt2mm »

Only comment I would make is that you will need to extend the inner part for the door end to the full depth of the door. As it is, you will only get the top half of the door.

You can see how I did mine, as an etch, from here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... nt=2933235.

Jim
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

Thanks Jim,
you are absolutely right
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

I had to amend the drawing as as drawn it is too flimsy for laser cutting. Slightly less proto but more practical. Amended drawing attached. I had hoped to attach photos of what you get when printed and some of the stock items I chose to use but the files are too big to attach. I realise I'm hopelessly unproductive but I'll try to get round to actually putting the thing together to see if there are any problems.
Attachments
CR Signalbox shell bis.pdf
(4.1 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Orbiston

At last!

Post by Orbiston »

Finally finished and I'm quite pleased. Sorry the photo doesn't bring out the different brackets for the roof and walkway.
Milton.jpg
Milton.jpg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Jim Summers

Post by Jim Summers »

Instantly, it exudes the Caledonian look all right.

JImS
Orbiston

Post by Orbiston »

Thanks Jim, I've just realised that nowhere have I mentioned that I got the panels and brackets from Julie at York Modelmaking. Obviously no idea of the cost as I had to pay set up costs etc so I expect they would now be cheaper.