Stirling Railway Station - A History of Service to the Community - Published at a time of major modernisation works, coinciding with the centenary of the rebuilding of the station by the Caledonian Railway; this book records a pictorial history of Stirling Station from the opening of the railway to the final layout before the semaphore signalling was removed and introduces the work by the Rotary to reintroduce floral displays as part of ScotRail’s ‘adopt a station programme’.
Since the 1st March 1847 the railway station has been at the heart of the community and the older generations remember the floral spectacle which greeted all passengers and gave the station a distinctive and prize winning appearance.
The promotion of the railway was primarily driven by the need for Perth to establish better transport links to the Central belt’s cities, ports and coalfields; coal was shipped by coastal vessels from the Tyne or Wear in North East England and cotton was transshipped on the Clyde to canal craft and again on the Forth to coastal vessels to reach the mills of Perth; this could take from a week to a month to complete the journey. Additionally this new railway would allow Bannockburn collieries to serve Perth’s coal needs.
At the same time as the Scottish Central Railway (SCR) (the name the company would adopt) was being promoted the Caledonian Railway (CR) was proposing to meet it at Greenhill and in April 1844 a proposal for the Strathmore line created the potential to open a whole chain of railway communication linking London to the North of Scotland. The success of the CR depended on its ultimate ability to link to the lines pushing north. The Acts for the CR, SCR and the Scottish Midland Junction, the line north from Perth, went through parliament in parallel and all were incorporated on 31th July 1845.
44 pages on A4 gloss art paper, with many photographs in both colour and greyscale.
This book has now sold out and is no longer available to purchase through the Association.