SRPS Steam Gala - Bo'ness - Two Caledonian Locomotives Together
The meeting of two Caledonian locomotives, in steam, in the two different blues, in charge of two Caledonian carriages is unique and deserves celebration. We look forward to seeing many members that weekend. Make a day or two out of it, as there is much to see. The following events are planned within the overall Steam Gala being run by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway
- Locomotives 0-4-4T 419 and 0-6-0 828 will be pulling trains on Saturday and Sunday 3rd and 4th November from Bo’ness to Manuel, with Caledonian carriages added to the normal trains;
- Special services each day will be operated with these locomotives and only the Caledonian carriages. These will only go as far as Birkhill, but that includes the stiff climb up through the woods above the river;
- A block booking in a Caledonian carriage has been made by the Association at a group fare on the 12.09 departure from Bo’ness. Numbers are limited, so if you wish to join that train, please apply as soon as possible to Jim Summers (email: [email protected] or by phone); other trains are available for individuals but likely to be in high demand;
- The normal meeting of the Association on Saturday 2nd November will take place in the meeting room above the public library at Bo’ness. This is in the group of preserved buildings in the town which face the railway and the shore, with a fine view of the trains passing. This will commence at 1430, and it is suggested that members watch the departure of the 14.14 train there or from the lineside, thereafter adjourning across the road to the library;
- That meeting will be open to the SRPS and free to the public as part of our duty as a charity to inform and educate. Jim MacIntosh will do just that with a presentation on the Caledonian Railway, concentrating on these locomotives and why they are the blue they are;
- The museum will be open, including the exhibition on the Scottish railways in the First World War;
- The Gauge O model railway will be open and offering a weekend of Caledonian trains passing through Glentauchter, which is based on Gleneagles;
- The bookstall of the Association will be present on the station.
Trains on the Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway on the Saturday leave Bo’ness at:
08.15 (Freight); 09.25; 10.14; 11.03; 12.09; 13.17; 14.14; 15.14; 16.08; 17.05. The Association can take no responsibility if these details change.
Bo’ness is accessible by bus from various directions and by rail and bus via Linlithgow – ask for a cheap PlusBus add-on to your rail ticket.